22 ━ IT ALL GOES

Start from the beginning

  And now, they'd set her up for failure all over again.

  Andrea tossed the photo onto the table and fell back against her chair. "We need to stop that launch," she said. "I don't care how we do it, but we need to do something." She was desperate and they were running out of both time and options.

  "Well, the Council isn't exactly answering my phone calls anymore..." Fury's smile was sardonic. The situation wasn't exactly funny, but Andy still offered him a chuckle.

  If they failed to stop Project Insight, it wouldn't be just her suffering under HYDRA's thumb. It would be millions. Andy felt her expression fall as she was struck with the realization. She was entirely aware of it as her leg began fidgeting anxiously, moving up and down.

  However, her thoughts quickly settled as Maria pulled out a briefcase. She set it down on the table with a soft thud. The act was enough to catch everyone's attention fairly quick. Andy immediately leaned forwards in curiosity.

  The Hill woman opened the case, revealing three identical microchips. It wasn't much, but Andy figured from the silence that this was the plan they'd been waiting for. It was foolish to hope for anything easy, she knew that. But, Andrea felt the weight on her shoulders lighten with the slightest sense of hope.

  Any possibility to make things right was enough for her, regardless of the risk— or the cost.

  "Care to share?" Sam asked, nodding at the case. His disdain for their sense of suspense was blatant. Andy couldn't blame him.

  Maria nodded, capturing the last of everyone's attention as she began,  "When the heli-carriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites— and once they do, they'll become fully weaponized."

  No one needed any further explanation on what that meant. Andrea let her fists clench. Three thousand feet gave them such a small time-frame from launch. Whatever this plan was, it had to be executed fast.

  "We need to breach those Carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Maria continued, gesturing back to the suitcase.

  Andrea glanced at the three identical chips. "One microchip will do that?" She had to admit, the idea of backups was comforting.

  Agent Hill shook her head. "No, one chip won't cut it. We need all Carriers linked for this to work. If even one of them remains operational, a whole lot of people are going to die."

  Andrea felt the immediate drop in her stomach. It wasn't that she was disappointed, but the idea that so much of this relied on everyone doing their part scared her. This mission was heavy enough as it was, but she was willing to bear it all if she had to.

  "We have to assume that everyone on those heli-carriers is HYDRA," Fury cut in. "We don't have time to waste on testing loyalties. Your job is to get past them, switch those server blades and maybe—maybe— we can salvage—"

  Andy immediately cut her gaze to Fury. "No," she snapped, seething at suggestion. "We're not salvaging anything."

  HYDRA had manifested itself within S.H.I.E.L.D for years. There was no way to tell who was loyal to which organization anymore and Andy refused to take that chance. She refused to allow HYDRA the possibility of not only destroying her life once more, but risking the safety of everyone around her as well. It was too big a risk.

  She may have owed everything to S.H.I.E.L.D. and to Fury, but that meant nothing now. There was no way to recover from this. Her home was gone— and her only loyalties lay with what was left of her family.