Eunchan (12-6-22)

Eunchan was the sunlight, Jake was the sun. In a similar sense, to keep the metaphor going, Dean must be the moon and Tim the lake it reflects off of. Since middle school, Eunchan wanted to be like Jake, he wanted to hang out with Jake. Being the stubborn boy he is, he made it his mission to become friends with Jake Ji, a like minded and rather interesting individual. Dean Kwan and Timothy Park were just bonuses. 

"JAKE!" He screamed from across the courtyard, waving his arms wildly above his head. Even from there Eunchan could see the smile on Jake's face as he sighed and began to make his way over to his dear friend. One soft thump at a time, his shoes were new, black and clean, Jake made his way to where the blond stood. "What're you up to man?" Eunchan had always been the bubbly one in a group of serious boys. Jake occasionally became the world's biggest goofball when he was talking about manga, but other than that, in this friend group it was all work and no play.

Jake had the poor habit of worrying everyone around him by wandering off and doing stupid shit. It wasn't uncommon for the orange haired boy to go off the grid for several hours, sometimes even days, then just magically reappear as if nothing had ever happened. Most of the time he was exactly the same as when he'd left, other times he was littered in injuries. Bruises. Cuts. Broken knuckles and fingers. Dean would thoroughly scold him, being the mother hen that he was. The boy was far from inconsiderate, so why did he act like this? Well it's hard to be sure, he is just a high school boy after all, who knows what's going through his mind.

Eunchan didn't often see too much of a problem with Jake's disappearances. Jake was the strongest person he knew, Ben Park had nothing on him, and he could make his own decisions. What else was there to it? No matter what any of them said, Jake was still going to run off and do something stupid, easy as that.

From around the area that Jake had walked from, came Dean Kwan, a perpetual frown on his face. The black brim of his cap covered his eyes as his glasses further obscured his face from view. His hands, calloused and rough, were tucked firmly in his pockets, where they'd most likely stay. Dean was serious, always serious. "Hey Dean!" Eunchan waved in response, ignoring the apparent cold shoulder he was being given. After all this time together, with them, he knew that's just how Dean was, right now he wasn't feeling anything particularly strong. He wasn't mad, or sad, or anything. Eunchan often mocked the boy for his "resting bitch face".

"Hey Eun," He replied, looking off somewhere else, just over the short boy's head. Perhaps he was a little more serious today. Cold eyes met Jake's often warm one's, "Let's talk," The words were uncertain and tasted foreign on Dean's tongue.

His gaze dropped to the floor, "Okay," Eunchan answered small, he already knew what it was about so what was the point in pretending he didn't?

"Somewhere else maybe?" Jake added with a gentle tone, perhaps in a desperate attempt to soften the blow.

Eunchan shook his head. Here was as good as any place.

"Okay," He continued, eyeing Dean perhaps for advice, though he'd never been the best with emotional things. Jake always drug things out past what they had to be, trying to make it easier, however, to Eunchan, it was worse. "You know we love you Eun,"

The boy scoffed in response, "But you both have to go and do serious Union business that you can't trust me with because you're both asshole," He retorted, crossing his arms. Everyone at Daehyeon treated him like a child, bubbly, and stupid.

Jake attempted a smile, "Oh c'mon Eun, you don't like this stuff anyway-"

"That doesn't make it okay to exclude me!" He snapped, "I'm part of Daehyeon just like you, and I'm part of the Union just like you. Just because I'm not the head of the school or your lackey doesn't mean I can't contribute!" Eunchan did just call Dean Kwan, Jake's lackey. He was sure that once he stopped being angry and they were all cool again, Dean would knock him out cold for that. At the moment, it didn't matter. They always snuck around together, getting into trouble Eunchan knew damn well he could help with. They blew off things they'd all planned to do weeks in advance, without telling him before hand. One too many times they'd forgotten about him. One too many times he'd been left behind.

"Eun," Jake's eyes widened in concern, Eunchan didn't often voice his concerns. However, they'd pulled this same little stunt one too many times and he'd grown sick of it. 

"Either include me," He picked up his backpack which had settled on the ground before the beginning of the conversation, slinging it across his shoulders effortlessly, "Or don't. I don't care Jake. I don't need you, or Dean, or The Union. Fuck you." Then he walked off. Jake didn't call after him. Dean didn't grab him by the collar and knock out his lights.

Eunchan walked off and nobody chased after him. Not for one street, not for one block, not after a bus stop, not after another block. His phone remained silent and still, no calls or texts in sight. That was when he knew for sure that he'd made the wrong decision. All he wanted was an apology, they were his best friends after all, and Eunchan wasn't the best at holding grudges. His head hung low, all he wanted was for them to have told him to wait. All he wanted was an "I'm sorry Eun, I didn't know you felt that way. We'll do better in the future", In all honesty he didn't know if he'd still be mad if they turned around and started doing it again right after. His feelings were a little confusing, as are that of any teenage boy. 

He wandered carelessly.

Sure he wasn't the most observant, or the smartest, or the-

HONK! HONK!

Bright, wide eyes looked up in fear just in time to get caught in the overwhelming headlights of a red car. Like a flash bomb. He froze, a deer in headlights, startled and confused.

"Dean and Jake are going to blame themselves." He mumbled as overbearing light faded to blurry dark. "Make sure they're okay."

The woman loading him onto the stretcher didn't respond to that, "Breathe," She coaxed, instructions sweet like honey, "Breathe honey okay? You'll be alright."

Breathe.

Inhale.

I'll be alright. So will Jake. So will Dean. We'll be alright.

Exhale.

...................................................................................................

1123 words excluding author's note

heyyyy

Here's our conversation, I think it's long overdue: 

ME: "How are you?"

YOU: "______"

ME: "Oh, I'm (glad/sorry), I hope it gets (even) better! Because you deserve the world friend! I know finals are nearing, but don't stress too much okay? No matter what, eat something, drink something, take breaks between studying, and get plenty of rest."

YOU: "(Okay!/Will do!)"

ME: "Awesome! Bye!!! Love you!"