Eugene (12-3-22)

[At the same time as the previous, amongst the cold streets of Yeongdeungpo]

"Alright, I suppose it's time to split," Ben sighed, eyes cast up at the sky. Winter sunsets were beautiful and winter days were chilly. Everyone knew that. However, winter nights were frigid and unbearably cold. In that case, perhaps, it's better that they all split now, when there is still a trace of warm light in the, soon to be pitch black and void like, sky. It got darker sooner, six rolled round and everyone was already done being outside. Seven was practically midnight. Well not really, but you get it.

Ben often found himself going to sleep around eight thirty, with the gentle whirl of a fan heater at the foot of his bed. It was consistent and calming. Box fans in the summer and heated fans in the winter, that was the cycle of Ben Park's room. Alex had struggled to adapt to sleeping with noise at first, many many years ago, but now it was a staple of staying over.

Alex sighed beside him, "I guess," The bottom half of his pale face hid beneath the high rising collar of his jacket, as if it were a mask of sorts, shielding him from the iciness of whipping wind. Gogo had never been one for freezing cold nor scorching heat, almost as if his body just wanted the weather to be nice. Crazy.

Gerard stretched his arms above his head, only further adding to the intimidation of anyone shorter than him walking closely by, "Yeah, this early darkness is making me tired," Slim and carefully calloused fingers intertwined high above the heads of everyone, tensing then releasing with a sigh of contentness. In small places, his fingers wore the marks of guitar strings, long since pressed in as if they'd purposely tried to forever be a part of him. Upon his knuckles however, new callouses were forming. Another forever indention. Or perhaps a refreshment of one. From the first punch he ever threw to his most recent one, his knuckles were always meant to bear those marks.

Carefully eyes tilted down to his own tan skinned hands, calloused and bruised, scratched and sore. Often they were bloody, one might note. Ben studied his hands for a moment. Hands were awesome, capable of incredibly things that one might take for granted. Opening things, eating, and playing games were the things his teenage mind had come up with. Then again, they were also capable of not so great things, like punching and flipping people off. One must cut him slack I suppose, he is but a child, mature as he might seem, a child nonetheless. They were all children, going through high school together.

Hopefully they'd do so to the very end, staying friends way past that. 

Ben's thoughts drifted away from his own hands. To Alex's, Teddy's, maybe even Gray's at this point, though he couldn't recall the boy often throwing actual punches. All of them bore the marks of their struggles, their loses, their victories. Whether they'd earned their scars before they'd all met, during, or after, it didn't matter. As they were united by the subject nevertheless, despite the fact that none of them had yet pondered a matter such as this. 

He paused, thinking of Eugene. His hands were soft, except for the spot in which he'd hold a pencil, Ben decided. The thought of Eugene ever joining them, when it came to this subject, both excited him and scared him. After a moment's more thought, Ben came to the conclusion that it would be better for Eugene to know how to retaliate rather than for him to continue to get stepped on and walked upon. Even if it would be something as simple as just knowing the fundamentals of throwing a proper punch. That's better than nothing.

Ben shrugged a shoulder around his smaller, but not smallest, friend, smiling a smile that only Ben Park could pull off so perfectly. "Eugene!" Mi amigo!" He chimed, as the other looked wordlessly to him in anticipation, "I think that you could be the perfect protégé for me," Ben made a wide gesture with his arms as if to display the world to him, "I could teach you how to fight!" If he could, Ben would buy the world for his friends. He'd destroy the Union or anything else that could possibly hurt them, for their sake. Even if they never said thank you, never asked, or stopped being his friend because of it, if they were safe then he'd do it a hundred times over. "What do you say?"

"Gray said I should work on my studies," His eyes darted to the ground as he frowned in disappointment, it wasn't everyday that The Ben Park of Eunjang offered to teach you his ways. Or maybe it was at Eunjang, quite a few hung out with Ben, receiving his advice with open arms when he chose to give it.

Ben rose a finger to his own face, "Shhh, Gray doesn't have to know," He shot a poorly-attempted wink in the other's direction, laughing all the while.

Eugene genuinely pondered the offer. It was a good one, and this way he could make himself useful to his friends, especially Gray as that's who he often found himself in predicaments with and who was often facing the world alone. Gray wouldn't have to be alone this way. Also, Ben is nothing short of the most incredibly fighter he'd ever seen, it'd be a terrible shame to turn down such a thing, "Okay," The words were unsure, "Just keep it on the downlow,"

"Haha," Ben chuckled, looking up towards the sky. "Let's do it,"

Alex rolled his eyes at the pair, waving goodbye to Teddy and Gerard who'd headed off in the same direction. Suspiciously, one might add. They were probably waiting to split so they could go eat, seeing as how going to a restaurant with a group of rowdy boys was both difficult and incredibly embarrassing. He wished Rowan was here to drag Eugene away, walking with him home to Eugene's Aunt's house, so that Ben and him could get out of the cold. Maybe they could even sit at the foot of Ben's bed, as they often did, soaking up the warmth from Ben's heater like sponges. Days like that were some of Alex's favorites. Nothing but a cozy bed, a warm heater, and either mindless or astonishingly thoughtful chatter with his best friend in the world. "Ben I'm cold," He whined.

"I better get going anyway," Eugene admitted, a hand on his own neck. "My Aunt will worry if it gets too dark,"

"Do you want us to walk you?" The red haired boy asked, taking in a deep breath of winter's air. Ben Park was one of those weird fools that actually enjoyed the winter time. He liked the bite of the wind as it tried to freeze you half to death. Staying out too long was thrilling and made warmth even more exhilarating. Existing during the winter was practically brushing shoulders with death, in Alex's opinion. Of course his best friend liked it.

From behind his glasses, he smiled, "I'll be alright, It's not far!" His answer was honest, and so convincing that both boys nodded a goodbye and turned the opposite direction.

"BYE EUGENE!" Ben hollered like an idiot, receiving a prompt slug in the arm from Alex. Eugene smiled, listening to the sound of laughter dissipate into cold, empty, air. Then it was quiet. Only the soft sounds of gravel crunching underfoot could be heard as he padded alone. It was comfortable, being alone now. Used to, being alone was daunting and lonely, since he never had the option to not be. Now, as he was always with people he cared for, having the option to be alone was like sweet tasting honey.

His mind wandered, thinking of Gray. He'd last minute ditched on their hangout, for who knows what reason. The boys gave Gray his space, not often questioning his consistently questionable actions.

"Hey!" A voice broke him from his thoughts. He struggled to make out any sort of figure in the dim and unlit portion of the street in which he walked. It was streets like this that gave him his grand idea for new a new lighting system. "Got any smokes?" It was low and harsh.

"No..."

"Why not?"

"..."

"Why the fuck not?" A little click could be heard, as the shimmer of cool steel flickered in what terrible light came from behind him. Eugene gulped, his breathing came quicker. This was different then getting jumped and punched and kicked. This was real. 

It'd be okay. It'd be okay. Just breathe. Breathe Eugene.

Inhale.

He paused, watching as the figure loomed closer. The sound of his own heartbeat drowned out everything else, including the sound of footsteps sinking deeper and deeper into gravel with each slow and pained step. He was scared, but it'd be okay. 

Exhale.

........................................................................................................................

Killing people everyday, with a consistent plot, is going to be so difficult T-T

oh well, I knew what I was getting myself into.

Love you! Stay safe.

1487 words excluding the author's note