19: The December Masque Pt.1

Start from the beginning

"I....won't let you....get hurt again. Promise...to stay vigilant. I'll be...as attentive as I can...."

Jonah's jaw was tense, and I could see the pain in his eyes from his injury.

After all you've been through...still, your biggest priority is me.

I nodded firmly and nuzzled his nose.

"I promise. I'll watch out for whatever they try to pull."

But in my heart, my words weren't so firm.

I felt...scared.

And, based on Alice the Firsts' letters, it felt like the Disciples staying calm and collected at this Masque was almost like a pipedream.

With everything that had happened recently with Levie...

I doubted this Masque would go ahead without some major interference.

"Jonah." 

Both the Queen of Hearts and I were surprised to hear one of the soldiers pass by from behind us and immediately call his name. Jonah turned around quickly - 

But everything fell silent when we both laid eyes on him.

He was covered in blood.

"Sir, we've found Edgar."

The air within the hallway suddenly stood still. I watched from the corner of my eye as Jonah's hands clamped into fists.

"The...medic ward?"

The soldier nodded sternly.

"Kyle and I have been treating his injuries. They are beyond anything we've seen thus far."

I gasped softly from behind Jonah, just as he turned over his shoulder.

"Stay...in your room. Only...allow the..attendant's in." It was yet another extremely serious warning.

I swallowed heavily and nodded.

"I'll...see you in the morning." I peeped softly.

I only watched for a few moments as he immediately rushed to the medical ward, before turning back and heading into my room.

I was right.

Now, he'd never get any sleep.

-------------------

(Alice the First P.O.V. Third letter)

I learned early on in my time living in Cradle, that innate Magic users were considered dangerous and unpredictable.

Cradle's past had been marred with various naturally-born Magic users, and more often then not, they were conceived just like Levie - born with an inability to control massive amounts of Magic and only able to naively terrorize the hospital they were born into.

There had already been a handful of incident's where doctors, nurses and civilians were killed in the crossfire from a rampant child. Levie's birth that stole the hands of that doctor was not the first, and certainly wouldn't be the last incident that scarred Cradle's history.

But as such, using my own Magic against the workers there to retrieve Levie had Cyrus and myself in scalding hot water. For not only was I deemed a criminal for having lived in Cradle without affording my status; but I also was now under the jurisdiction of a terrorist, using my own powers for the sake of myself, and disregarding state rules.