1| Pack Your Shit Italy Awaits

Start from the beginning

"Wanna make a bet?" Charlie challenged with a hard look and if I wasn't mistaken a glint of excitement at the possibility of Nathaniel being idiotic enough to challenge her. Charlie could get...in a word, competitive, whenever someone challenged her. Swallowing audibly, Nathaniel backed down an inch— no longer seeming so sure. "Relax you're not being fired, yet." Standing from her seat, she folded her arms. "You're both going to Italy. Enrique has moved up the restaurant's opening, which means our deadline has moved up six months. Work needs to start now." Relived, I let out a sigh. Her elaboration had allowed me to finally set free the breath I'd held captive.

"Fucking Enrique Prince Amorosi! Who the hell does he think he is?-" Nathaniel barked, ready to rip the Italian politician to shreds.

"Cool it Cujo! He wants La Prince Palace to open sooner and it's understandable. I mean the response he's gotten is outstanding. The guy broke from his political family to start up his own chain of restaurants." Thankfully Charlie put a quick stop to Nathaniel's highly homicidal thoughts towards the man. Frankly speaking, I couldn't deny that the man was beautiful and inhumanly charming.

Enrique was everything you'd expect a hot Italian summer fling to be, he's the guy you want to meet when you're on vacation that sweeps you off your feet...Only to pin your back to his bed. I'd only spoken to him once and I almost melted from his accent alone. Naturally I'd proceeded to fulfil my civic duty to stalk this guy via the assistance of Google...Twitter, Instagram and maybe a few other legalised stalking sites. Charlie and I had spent a good lunch break gossiping about how dreamy the Italian God was.

"Big fucking deal..." Nathaniel muttered while eyeing the Reagan designs longingly.

"This is the first project you'll be heading Nathaniel, it's a big deal for you and Nancy. I'm giving you this chance because I believe in both of you." She wasn't wrong, I'd been waiting for my big break for years now...with Lorraine—the she devil that Charlie exposed for the psychopath she truly was— around, hardly anyone ever got promoted. The old Nancy would have fought for her dream but after the accident...that Nancy just disappeared and I became this. I was the perfect pushover and eventually I simply accepted my role and made do. Sometimes I'd look at myself in the mirror and wonder what had happened to the strong headed blonde from Britain. Sometimes I would wonder whether or not I'd ever become her again.

"I can go on my own. I'll handle it and the spoilt brat will love it. She'll just get in my way-" Nathaniel spat, his anger now shifting away from Enrique and settling on me. As if I needed another reason for him to resent me.

"See that's a deal breaker for me, this duo is perfect for this project." Charlie raised her arms; pointing her fingers out to us she drew an imaginary circle, encasing us. "My decision is final. You both go or clear out your desks." Nathaniel clenched his jaw and I worried my bottom lip, the finality in her tone left no room for argument. I didn't want to get fired and I really wanted this opportunity to prove myself. But I knew Nathaniel would never back down on this, he hated me—for good reason too. In one way or another I had ruined his life. I'd turned him into the bitter, angry shell of a man he now was. If only I'd left for London after my student exchange trip had run its course. We would have both been left with amazing memories of what could have been rather then resentment.

"Bullshit! I call bullshit!" Nathaniel barked at a pitch that made me cringe. Shrugging, Charlie swiped the sleek black handset off the telephone port and dialled a number on the fixed line.

"Hey Seth, I have an ex-employee up here that needs to be escorted from the building. No he's not making a scene but feel free to make one as you remove him. Thank you." Charlie's voice was an amused calm. I gasped and Nathaniel's jaw hit the floor. I used to have a similar effect on him. We had once been both a force to be reckoned with and a worthy component for one another.