12. - teenage love affair

april 8th, 1979owing mills, maryland

april 8th, 1979
owing mills, maryland

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"I'm beat," Marlon sighed as he exited the ensuite restroom of our lodgment. The steam that dwelled within the compact shower room slowly maneuvered its way into our sleeping area. "Man, I don't know why Jospeh thought that havin' two shows in one night would be genius."

"Which is exactly why I'm goin' solo," I mumbled more-so to myself than to him. The fresh scent of Bergamot infused with a hint of vanilla musk snitched on my younger brother; he had been using my soaps and fragrances.

"You're really leavin' us? C'mon, Jermaine is already trippin' up with his dumb dream of goin' solo. He isn't even on tour with us now."

"And for once, I can understand why," I spoke with a hint of repugnance. "It—It disgusts me to say this but I think this is the one thing Jermaine is right about. I mean, I don't mind performin' with y'all. You're my brothers and I love you guys to death but gosh... I know I deserve more than the treatment I get from Joseph."

Marlon's expression dwindled into a somber gaze, one that I had known all too well. It was the look he'd give me whenever Joseph would blame me for everything that had gone wrong, despite none of it being my fault.

"Maybe we could try talkin' to him—"

"Nuh uh," I shook my head. "No point in talkin' to a man as stubborn as that. I've tried and look what that's gotten me."

"So this is it, huh?"

"No, not necessarily. I can't really leave now anyway. I told Joseph that I'd be willing to do two more albums but after that... I'm not sure how much strength I'll have in me."

Randy and Marlon were the only two brothers I'd naturally confide in. I didn't bother Tito much, Jackie was too in love with his wife Enid to worry about anything else, and Jermaine was— well, Jermaine. But it was something about Marlon that felt different. We had a true bond, one that I cherish immensely. He understood me and even when he didn't, he'd try his damnedest.

"Hey look, I getcha," he nodded. "If this is what you really wanna do that I'll support it. You've got the talent and looks to be one of the greats."

"Now you're just boostin' my ego," I bashfully smirked while looking down at the novel that sat ajar on my lap.

"I'm not. I'm bein' for real. Your energy on that stage is what makes the people wanna come back for more. You've got the star power Mike, you just gotta... well, channel that into yourself. Believe in yourself more."