Chapter Forty-two

I don't really know what to do with my letter, I didn't get anything out of it, I didn't find out why Avery and I were chosen and I doubt her envelope had anything since she just pulled out a sugar packet.

I look over at Grayson, he's reading his letter over again, I see a smile on his face, a genuine smile, his letter is very obviously something he needed to hear.

As we all go our separate ways I go back to Grayson's wing with him.

"I can't believe it, Ash. He finally said he was proud of me. Can you believe that? God, I've waited my entire life for those words and he finally said it and I can't believe it" He quickly says, very obviously excited, slightly shaking as the words leave his mouth.

"That's amazing Gray, I know you've always wanted to hear him say it" I smile a small smile up at him as I take a seat on the end of his bed.

"God I just can't believe it. What did your letter say? Did it tell you why you and Avery were chosen?" He asks, his eyes widening ever so slightly.

I shake my head signaling no.

"It only really said for me to look after you guys and that you guys need me just as much as I need you guys" I smile a small smile at him as he sits down close to me.

"Thank you, Ash, genuinely" He quickly says, gently taking my hands in his.

"I couldn't have gone through this past week without you so thank you" He smiles.

"I couldn't have done it without you either Gray" I whisper, meeting his eyes.

We stay there for a few seconds, looking into each other's eyes.

His eyes move rapidly across my face.

"I want to try" He speaks quietly, it's slow but soft.

"Try what Gray?" I ask, my brows furrowing quickly.

"Us. I want to try us. But really try us. No shortcuts, no riddles or puzzles. Us." He quickly says, taking a breath as he meets my eyes once more.

"Then let's try us" I whisper.

That is a wrap.

Thank you all so much for all of the support you've given on Paparazzi.

I wasn't sure I would ever post this, let alone anyone ever read it but I did to try get over this hyper fixation and yet here I still am.

I'm going to admit it, I only found The Inheritance Games because my best friends younger cousin heard I loved reading and asked for help with her summer reading that she hadn't even started it yet. I ended up doing everything. But I am beyond grateful for that as I have managed to find my favourite series and return to my love of books and writing.

Thank you all so much for the endless amounts of support and the second book will be up soon.

Make sure to stay hydrated and smile today.

signing off for now, Z<3