Chapter Twenty-Nine

I didn't sleep well last night.

I don't remember much, just rolling over in bed.

I couldn't lay on my arm. It hurt like fuck, even though Josh gave me some medication for it.

I stayed in Grayson's room. He said there were no secret passageways in his room and that he would stay in there with me, and Josh would be outside.

I rub my eyes with my uninjured hand as I open them, taking in my surroundings.

I can feel Grayson's arm around me as I move slightly. He has a tight grip on my torso.

I spot the alarm clock on his nightstand. It reads 6.

I need to get ready for school.

"Gray," I whisper as I move his arm slightly. He rolls over slightly as he mumbles something incoherent.

"Grayson," I whisper again, turning slightly to look at him.

His hair is messy instead of styled for once, his face is rested, there is no tenseness, he has a small smile on his face, his eyelashes are long, and his eyebrows are furrowed slightly as he moves his head slightly.

I take in his appearance. He looks peaceful. I almost don't want to wake him. However, I need to get ready.

"Grayson, I've gotta get up," I speak a little louder this time. His grip tightens before it loosens right after.

"Ash?" He asks, finally opening his eyes, removing his grip from around me as he sits up.

"Shit, sorry, I didn't realize I had fallen asleep" his voice is raspy but perfect at the same time.

He clears his throat slightly as he looks at my arm.

"It's okay. I've just got to get up. You can go back to sleep. It's only six" I smile at him as I grab the corner of the blankets with my bad arm, going to raise it to get out before I flinch.

"Shit, Ash, take it easy. You don't want to injure yourself anymore" Grayson's voice is sharp as well as soft.

He gently takes my bad arm in his hand, holding it gently as he removes the covers, standing up from his spot in the bed as I stand.

"Thank you" I offer a small, thankful smile toward him as he lets go of my arm.

"I'll see you later, okay? I've got to get ready" I smile up at him as I start to walk toward the bedroom door.

He sighs from behind me before he walks closer, causing me to stop.

"You do not have to control the narrative, Ash. You can miss one day," Grayson sighs as he places a hand on the door handle.

"I've missed a day, Grayson, and I'm okay, I promise" I smile a small smile as my voice is barely above a whisper.

"I'm going to talk to Josh, do not go to school today Ash," he pleads as he steps out of the room, closing the bedroom door behind him.

I hear muffled of their voices, but I cannot make out anything they are saying.

Grayson enters again a few seconds later, his brows furrowed.

"Josh said you can go if you really want to, but I don't think you should, Ash," he sighs.

"I know, Gray," I offer him a smile.

The two of us exit Grayson's wing, starting to walk closer to mine when Xander exists his.

"Ash? Gray? What are you doing?" Xander quickly questions as he walks toward us.