I've Got You

Maisie.

I woke up to something kneading on my bladder. I looked up groggily to find a fat headed grey tabby purring loudly as he poked me over and over right at the bottom of my tummy. He's cute. Even if he is making me want to pee.

I reach up and pet his ears. "Well hello." I say sleepily rubbing my eyes. I look around and realize I don't know where I am. For a moment I'm worried but before the panic sets in I remember.

The smell of Dax is all around me in the bed. The smell of his shampoo on the pillow and cologne in the air helped my heart beat at a steady pace. It was familiar and comforting to my anxiety. When I ran out of the house I didn't know where I was going. I went in circles for a bit and I kept trying to figure out who I had left. Who I wanted to make me feel better and the only thing I could think of was how Dax always seemed to understand without making me say a word.

Before I knew it I was running through his parking lot finding his door and prayed that he was home and that he'd answer the door. Seeing his face, not to mention his shirtless body, as he swung open the door, sent a shockwave of relief through me that I hadn't realized I needed. When I finally gave in and sank into his arms I just let out everything that had been drowning me since I had tried to say goodbye to him.

I look around the room for Dax and don't see him. I do see the alarm clock on his nightstand. It's 2:34am. I get up pushing the kitty off me and reach into my pocket for my phone.

Shit....

I didn't even bring my phone! Oh no.. My dad and Noah are gonna kill me. They're probably really worried. I roll out of Dax's bed and walk to the door. It's cracked open already and I can hear the faint sound of a tv coming from the open space at the end of the hall. I follow it and see Dax sprawled out sleepily on the couch with his feet up on the table.

He's clearly tired, sitting with his head propped up on his hand. But I know Dax well enough now to know he won't fall asleep till after 4am. I want to smile at how well I know him but I cant. 

He sees me and pulls his feet from the table sitting up. "Hey.." He says slowly.

"Hi." I'm nervous. For the first time unsure how Dax feels about me coming to him when we said we wouldn't. Thinking back to how I burst into his apartment I also realize that he didn't exactly say a word to me before I went crazy, cried, and practically passed out in his arms.

"Uh.. I let your dad know I found you. When you fell asleep and didn't wake up I told him that I'd bring you to the bash in the morning, and that I was just gonna let you sleep. He's fine with it. He told me to let you know that Noah's fine. They're just happy you're safe." He says.

I relax a bit. At least they haven't been worrying about me, that's one thing I can check off of the list. I take a deep breath and go to sit beside Dax on the couch. I hug myself because it's a bit chilly and I'm still in shorts and a tank top. Dax notices and pulls a blanket off the back of the couch and lays it across our laps.

I relax and watch the TV with him. When criminal minds goes to commercial I look at him. He sees me and lifts his chin at me smirking. As if to say "what are you lookin at." I smile a little.

"You haven't asked me why I'm here?" I say. "You let me barge in. Cry like an idiot. Then take over your bed. But still haven't asked anything?" I say in disbelief. "Why?"

He looks at me. His silly smirk turns sad as he looks at me.

"You needed me Maisie, there's not much else to say. Whether you're with me, friends, not friends, if you need me I've got you." He says without hesitation. "I'm glad you came." He says taking my hand.

I yawn and rub my eyes again.

"You can go back and lay down if you want. I'll crash out here." He says rubbing his thumb over my fingers.

I think about it for a second, returning to the smells of Dax in his bed is tempting. But not as tempting as cuddling with the real thing. I just need to be with him, especially if i'm expected to fall back asleep. In the end I ignore him. Being with Dax makes me feel better. If I leave him I could slip into a nightmare. And although I'm confident I could pull myself out, or that Dax would be there instantly if I needed him, I scoot over and lay against him. My head on his shoulder and my fingers entwined with his.

I closed my eyes and used my other hand to pull the blanket up to my chin. Dax smiled and rested his head on mine, going back to the rest of his show.