Oreos

Maisie.

Noah was right. It was easy to get used to Dax. They say I've met him before but I can't pull up the memory. Another curse. Some of the best memories now tainted or forgotten by just this one.

Dax ended up leaving and going to the shop with Noah to finish up cars they were working on while my dad took me shopping for new clothes. Most of the shorts and shirts in my dresser had been long outgrown.

After browsing most of the shops at the store front and the mall that was an hour away we finally made it back home. I felt a bit guilty for all the things I bought, even though I tried my best to stick to the essentials. I apologized again as my dad dropped all 10 bags on my bedroom floor.

"Don't worry about it kiddo. You need clothes. And you definitely needed more jeans. Do me a favor. Burn the ones you're wearing. They're too tight." He says fixing me with the dad stare and a pointed finger.

"Sorry. It was the only thing that came close to buttoning. It was this or a mini plaid skirt." I said playing it out like it's still an option. My dad looks less than amused so I laugh and put my hands up in surrender. "I'll set the bonfire." I say laughing.

"On second thought, Rose's daughter has been in need of some more clothes. Maybe if you don't mind parting with a bit we can take them down to her place sometime this week?"

"Sounds good. It's been a long time since I've seen aunt Rose and Eliza." The last time I saw my aunt she was walking around the beach with a toddler on her hip, and I've only ever seen pictures of them since.

"Maisie! Dad! We're back." Noah yells as he comes in the door.

Dad walks out of my room to greet the boys and I start ripping tags off my new clothes. I take everything out of my drawers and put them on top, noting that after Dax spent 20 minutes banging and screwing things inside, the top drawer opens like a charm now. He's pretty handy.

I put the new clothes away and put the old ones in the bags. Then I move them to my closet until we take them to my aunt later that week. I feel exhausted. I walk over and roll across my bed.

"Hey. Feel like food? We brought back a pizza?" Noah says smiling in my doorway.

I glance at the alarm clock next to me. It's only 6:30 but I feel like it's midnight.

"Honestly I think I need a nap. I'm still off on my time zones and it's been a long day." I say scooting up and falling into my fluffy pillows.

"Suit yourself. Can't promise I'll leave you any though.." he warns.

"It's cool. I'll find something if I manage to wake up before dawn. Tell dad I said goodnight?"

"Sure things Maiz. Night." He says shutting the door right behind him.

I yawn and rub at my eyes. "Alright sleep. Let's try this again. I'm exhausted. So just do me a favor, and knock out at the 10th sheep ok?" I say talking to the ceiling.

I pull off my pants and decide to sleep in my underwear and shirt. Unhooking my bra I give a little sigh as the contraption falls to the floor. I tuck into my blankets and decide the sheep could have a day off. I don't think I'd need it.

**************************************

I locked the door behind me and turned into the darkness. That was strange.. mom always had the lights on for me. I stopped and started pulling the earbuds out when I caught my foot on something and stumbled. What the hell? I blinked through the darkness, fumbling for the lamp that I knew was in the corner of the doorway and pulled the chain to click it on. It wasn't there. Instead I heard my boots crunching against broken glass. A breeze swept across my face..