Chapter 12 || Second Choice

Soft music hummed out of the Bluetooth speaker that was sitting on the bathroom counter. Placing down the curling wand I took a couple steps back to admire my work. I almost didn't recognize the woman staring back at me.

Life had been hectic at best over the past 3 months. It was hard enough trying to balance work and the usual MC family drama but also practically becoming a part-time guardian to Opie's kids. It was all starting to take a toll on me.

"Self-care is the ultimate form of self-love." Or at least that's what Lyla said. Which is what tonight was, some self-love, care, whatever it was, it was needed.

Tonight, was Luann's big idea. After the newfound resurgence of Cara Cara, following the partnership with SAMCRO she thought it was only right we celebrated with a wrap party. Thankfully Mary volunteered to give me the night off, taking Ellie and Kenny. And for the night I think a porn party would be the only thing to put a pause on the internal SAMCRO drama.

My makeup had never looked better, the soft glam look wasn't something I did every day at work. My hair fell in loose curls around my face. Now the outfit was something I couldn't take credit for; it was my taste just with a Lyla spin. A low cut, black crop top, that twisted in the front along with the high waisted leather pants that hugged every curve just right. I couldn't help but smile at my reflection.

-

Pulling up, there were motorcycles and cars packing the large parking lot. "I seriously cannot believe your sitter bailed." I groaned, holding the phone between my ear and shoulder as I pulled into an empty parking spot. "I wouldn't even be going to this if I knew you weren't coming."

Lyla sighed on the other end of the phone, "Would you just go in there and have some fun! It's not like you don't know anybody." Despite her not being able to see me I couldn't help rolling my eyes. I opened my mouth to respond when I saw a familiar head of dark making a bee line to the party's entrance. Tara. "You've got to be shitting me." I breathed out. "Ly, I gotta go."

I locked my car as I headed towards the warehouse when I saw Tara surrounded by a group of Luann's girls with Ima in Tara's face. "I said get out, bitch." Ima smirked, as her friends egged her on.

Although I didn't care for Tara, Ima and I never got along so much to my amusement I raised a brow when Tara got right back in her face. But as I made my way closer Tara turned, pausing for a second before heading towards the restrooms. "Yeah, that's right!" Ima snickered.

"Ima why are you such a cunt?"

"Excuse me?" She snapped turning to look in my direction.

"I said, why are you such a cunt?"

After a few steps, Ima was in my face just like she had been in Tara's. However, I didn't back down. Flashing that cocky little smirk Ima opened her mouth to speak when I felt an arm wrap around my waist, pulling me back slightly.

"Hey, hey." I instantly recognized Jax's voice. With a simple "I'm good" Jax let go.

Noticing his presence Ima's cocky demeanor changed completely, putting on her best poor me face. "Jax I was just-" Jax shot Ima a glare, sending her back to her group of girls with a huff.

"You alright?" Jax asked, turning to me. I nodded, looking anywhere but at him. That was when my eyes found Opie's, he was a couple feet away from us sitting in a directions chair, watching intently. "Hey, did you see where Tara went?" My head instantly snapped up at the mentioning of the doctor, instantly it felt like my blood was boiling. Jax's brow furrowed at the sudden change in my demeanor as he slowly let go of me.

"Wha-"

I cut Jax off, putting a hand up to stop him from speaking. "She headed towards the bathrooms." I spoke before heading in the opposite direction, to where the drinks were. Grabbing a red solo cup, I filled it up to the top and tipped it back to my lips.

-

A giggle left my lips as I slumped down on the purple leather couch, spilling my beer a bit as I did so. I had lost count of how many drinks I had consumed, not being much of a drinker I was already pretty tipsy. "You're still a light weight I see." Looking up I saw Opie stared down at me with an amused smile appearing on his lips.

Opie and I hadn't spoken since he stormed out of my room. Even though I was staying at his house most nights to watch the kids, he avoided coming home at all costs. But whether he didn't want to face me, or his kids I wasn't sure about.

"Look who it is." I slurred, smiling back at him. His smile grew as I spoke realizing how truly intoxicated, I was. "Ope I think I had too much to drink." Opie nodded, reaching over to grab the plastic cup in my hand, "I can tell. How about I take you home?"

"To clubhouse? Or your house?" I pondered out loud as Opie helped me up. I stumbled over my feet a bit, letting out a small giggle. "I like being at your house you know." The bearded man wrapped an arm securely around my waist, giving me a second to get my balance. "Do you?" Opie asked as we slowly started to walk through the party. I nodded quickly, maybe a little too quickly. I winced feeling my stomach do a flip and my mouth water up. I swallowed deeply before continuing, "Mhm. I love you Ope, like so much. I just miss my best friend. You know?" Opie stopped abruptly, with me slightly jolting forward from the stop of movement. My stomach did another flip as my hand quickly came over my mouth.

"T? You alright?"

Without a word I took off, weaving in and out of people on my way towards the bathroom. I pushed past Ima who looked to be leaving when I grabbed the doorknob, swinging the door open. I heard a gasp echo off the walls as I stumbled in. Pushed up against the bathroom sink and the wall was Tara, and the unmistakable blonde with his back to me. Jax looked over his shoulder as Tara stared. "Shit."

I didn't even have time to think, the contents of my stomach coming up and out. Thankful for the trash can beside the bathroom door, I could hear people moving around and the jingle of a belt.

"Shit. Sorry. I was uh..I was about to take her home." I heard Opie from the doorway before he placed a gentle hand on my back and held out a handful of paper towels. "Are you alright?" I nodded, grabbing them and wiping my mouth. I finally stomached looking across the room to a bashful looking Tara and an un-readable Jax. "Did she drink too much?" Jax asked, breaking his silence.

"I'm right here." I spoke with resentment in my voice.

I had seen Jax in many and plenty of compromising positions with multiple different women throughout the years, and those hurt. However, seeing him with Tara hurt me in a way I couldn't even explain. I could feel tears prick my eyes as I watched Jax and her stand there. It brought me right back to high school all those years ago. Having to watch the guy I love, love someone else.

"It was never gonna be me, was it?" It wasn't exactly a question, more of statement as it left my lips. Jax's head tilted slightly as his brows furrowed in confusion. Shaking my head, I turned to Opie who had his eyes locked on me.

"Just take me home."