"Go to bed." He told her, pulling the covers over her figure, which she kicked off immediately.

Ignorantly, Stoick went back downstairs to run back into the field -the people of Berk needed him, and here he was playing child's games with his stubborn offspring. Tiny footsteps followed behind him, Sigrid wasn't giving up so easily. 

"Sigrid, no." Stoick scolded at the little warrior, who glared at him at his refusal. 

"But daddy, I can do it." Sigrid insisted, desperation clear in her small figure. 

She just wanted to help, Stoick knew that. He sighed, kneeling down as he put a careful hand on her small shoulder. 

"You can't, lass, not yet." He spoke, and he could see the sadness in his daughter's eyes. 

He needed to do something to cheer her up, but what? Glancing over to the crib, where his son slept soundly, Stoick got an idea. 

"I need you to stay home-" he started, watching his daughter frown, "-and take care of your brother, can you do that?"

Sigrid's eyes widened, still shining with tears, but now filled with purpose. The girl nodded quickly, before hesitating as she glanced from the floor to her father, hands clasped together behind her back as she spoke shyly. 

"Yes." She started, swaying from side to side. "But, for that, I need my axe."

Ofcourse, Stoick sighed, but gave in nonetheless. Placing the heavy metal in his daughter's opened arms, they caved in slightly as the weight was put on, but Sigrid didn't falter. She smiled at her father, a small smile that told Stoick all he needed to know; that she was thankful.

"Take care, my dottir." Stoick spoke softly, reaching down to place a quick kiss on her forehead, before going off once again, leaving Sigrid - and Hiccup - alone in their home. 

Sigrid inhaled deeply, swaying the axe over her shoulder - and almost falling over at the impact - as the handle rested on her collar. She gripped the handle with two sturdy hands, shoulders wide as she stood tall and proud. With determined heavy steps, Sigrid stomped back and forth around her brothers crib, ready to attack any reptilian intruder; but there came none. 

Ever since that night, Sigrid vowed to always protect her little brother. And she kept true to that, even fifteen years later. 

---

Hiccup had made them proud, and for the first time their father was also there to witness it. He and Astrid had fought hard for their place in the finale, but Hiccup had overthrown her by a landslide. But Sigrid was impressed when she saw the girl pull a few moves they practiced before, she sure had potential. 

Sigrid and her father cheered from above the arena. 

"That's my boy!" Stoick boisted, proud fist waving up in the air whilst his daughter whistled, giving her brother a proud thumbs up. 

Hiccup had left the arena abruptly, and Sigrid could only assume he'd gone to prepare early. Killing a Monstrous Nightmare wasn't for the weak of heart, she knew that from experience. That reptile was fast, snappy, nasty and very fiery. But, after seeing her little brother work over the weeks, she believed that he did have to potential to do it, and be one of the greatest dragon slayers Berk had ever seen. 

The following morning, the arena was filled with celebrating vikings, who cheered and yelled out in glee as they prepared for one of their favorite times of the year; the final test. The Berkians were proud, that much was clear, but no one was nearly as happy as Stoick.