pity | bakugou katsuki

date: 2 / 12 / 2022
word count: 1796
warnings: strong language, angsty?? happy ending tho :p [y/n] smokes! also ooc bakugou and crying and this is like really messy im sorry — trans reader but u can ignore that it doesnt affect the storyline
summary: bakugou decides to break up with the love of his life, who has other thoughts.

it was at three in the morning where it all started. [y/n] was passed out in his dorms' living room and bakugou was on his way to hand him his notes back, huffing in annoyance as how long the walk was before he approached the doors. he lifted his fist to knock loudly, but before he could, his boyfriend's name caught his ear.

"i pity [y/n]." a voice spoke clearly, and bakugou recognized the voice as [y/n]'s classmate since they were in elementary school. they weren't close and [y/n] didn't even like them, but the words caught bakugo's ears. "i mean, dating bakugou must be hard for him. if there is one thing i know about [y/n] is that he loves affection and as far as i know, that blond jerk doesn't even allow him close! i remember how [y/n]'s first boyfriend was, he was so fucking clingy but [y/n] loved it!"

"yeah," another voice sighed. "[y/n] must really love him. i don't think i can ever handle someone who treats me like they are disgusted of me, you know?"

"no, seriously. it's like he is ashamed of having [y/n] as his boyfriend which is just ironic considering how many little fans [y/n] has. i wonder if that bakugou dude knew how many love letters and confessions [y/n] deals with daily."

bakugo's grip on the notebook loosened.

"don't tell him that, though." his childhood classmate hummed. "last time i even tried to tell him he so fucking clearly deserved better i had a bruised jaw for three weeks."

bakugou leaned on the wall outside as they switched the topic, fingers trembling softly. he was aware [y/n] loved him, but now that he slowly registered everything they said, he wondered if he would be much happier with someone else, someone who isn't actually a fucking coward.

he pushed himself off the wall, immediately storming back to his dorms in search of a specific group of idiots. thankfully, they were all already in shinsou's room, so all he had to do was burst in, slamming the notebook on the ground angrily before slamming the door shut after him. "i fucked up, i fucking fucked up!"

the four couples inside immediately glanced at him, their eyes softening. he seemed... small. for the first time in his life, bakugou allowed his friends to see him. they had all sobbed in his arms more than once, but it seemed this was the first time he was even going to show a little weakness in front of them.

"dude, are you okay?"

"no!" he muttered, leaning the wall beside the door. "i need to break up with [y/n] right now."

they all paused before sero softly questioned, "you're... dating [y/n]?"

"exactly!" he uncharacteristically choked up, sliding on the ground. "we have been dating for the past two years and barely anyone knows and it's my fault! i told him i hate public display of affection and he's such a good boyfriend, he never made me uncomfortable and he allows gives me space and encouragement so i can touch and kiss him! he's so fucking perfect to me, it's fucking awful!"

"two years?" kirishima blinked in surprise before he shook his head. "not important. so, if he's perfect, why do you want to break up?"

bakugou let his head drop between his knees. "i... i was passing by his dorms to give him his notes back when i heard his stupid classmates talking. they... they said he deserves much better, that he deserves someone who doesn't act disgusted with him in public, someone who isn't ashamed of him. said he loves affection and that he likes clingy people and that his stupid ex boyfriend was so affectionate and clingy and [y/n] loved it. also, apparently, he fucking gets love letters and confessions more than enough."