Chapter 1: Smashing Introductions

Depuis le début

"(Y/N)..."

"That's a good name. Tell me about yourself (y/n), keep talking." He had his phone against his ear, looking around trying to assess the damage better.

"My... car..."

"If it was important to you, I can help you restore it, but it's not going anywhere right now."

"Interview..."

"You're going to miss it, Mouse."

"Name's... not... Mouse... Red." You manage almost a full sentence and there's a lop-sided smile from the red-haired mountain standing over you.

"Name's Eustass Kid." He offers. "Calling someone with red-hair 'Red', is kind of unimaginative."

"Working with... what I got."

"Fair enough. The professionals are here, hang in there."

Paramedics took over what Eustass had been doing and asked a lot of the same questions, keeping you conscious as they assessed what was going on. It took almost a hour to get you safely out of the car, and the paramedics wouldn't answer any of your questions about how you were. The frustration from their non-answers and blatant dodges had the needed effect of making you so irritated you were staying conscious just to grumble.

Loaded into the ambulance you were taken to the hospital, prepped for emergency surgery and put under.

.

.

.

.

When you came around you were in a recovery room. It was dim, but not dark, the muffled sounds of steady beeps and the smell and feel of astringent bleach, and the scents of other cleaners gave away the hospital room for what it was. A familiar form was sitting in a chair in the corner of your room and an unfamiliar form was next to him.

You remembered Eustass Kid, but the guy beside him, every bit as muscular as his red-haired friend, had the wildest, thickest, most amazing mane of long blonde hair you'd ever seen on a man or a woman. Most of his face was obscured by the long locks, but he seemed to see through them just fine, as he nudged Eustass with his elbow.

Kid looks up, and then lights up; a small smile playing at his lips before he slowly approaches your bedside.

"Hey Mouse, how're you feeling?" He asks. For such a big guy he seems a little apprehensive.

"Better, I think? Uh... not to be rude, but why're you here?" You question groggily, coming around to your new reality slowly.

"Er, well, we were just gonna stay until someone else showed up, but-."

"Ah. Yeah, I... don't have family in the Metro." You try to sit up, but pain zings through you all over the place. Kid's massive hand is barely touching your shoulder, urging you to lay back down.

"I can raise the bed for you, if you want, but you should stay resting." Kid explains, looking for the controls on the bed. "The nurse said they're gonna move ya to a more permanent room later."

"I... uh... thanks." You say finally after he raises the bed a little. "I mean, for staying. It's nice to have someone filling me in on what's going on."

"You remember what happened?" His friend prompted.

"Kind of? I remember hearing sirens, and I looked over to see if I could move my car to the side, in case they needed to get by, and when I looked back up it was just in time to be shoved out into the intersection." You grimace, shifting yourself to what you hope is a more comfortable position, which is a little difficult with your left arm in a sling. "You, uh, ran into me after that, right?"

Kid makes a face. "Yeah."

"You wouldn't have if I hadn't been hit the first time." You state, the grimace on your face from your discomfort, not because of him. "It'd be a real dick move on my part if I was mad at you." You remember hearing Kid yell something before he'd come up to your car. "What happened to the guy who rear-ended me?"

Kid growls, and his friend answers. "He's fine."

"For now." Kid grumbles.

You looked back and forth between them, before looking toward the blonde. "Sorry, you are?"

"Everyone calls me Killer." He explains. "Kid and I run a mechanic shop."

"How's he fine?" You grouse. "He hit me pretty hard."

"Drunk." Kid seemed to be getting angrier by the second. "He was so fucking sloshed he was walking around the street with his car wheel in his hands making motor noises."

"He'll probably be sore and have a massive hangover tomorrow, but I doubt anything's broken. Drunks are rubber in accidents, they don't tense up, so they don't get hurt." Killer explains.

"I'm still really tired," you admit, struggling to keep your eyes open. You had wanted more questions answered, but recovering bodies slept a lot. "I just got one more question."

"What is it, Mouse?"

You look into Eustass Kid's golden eyes. "Why can't I feel my left hand?"

The look on his face tells you all you really need, but he puts it into terrible, undeniable words for you.

"Sorry, (Y/N), it's gone."