10: Every Which Way But Up

Start from the beginning

"Shit, you're shaking." He observed as I settled into the vehicle. He leaned over into the back of the jeep, grabbing a duffel bag. He handed me a towel before rummaging through the bag for something else. When he seemingly can't find it, he dumped the contents of the bag onto the back seat and grabbed a purple hoodie handing it to me. "Here, put this on."

It was true; I was cold. Though, I hadn't really noticed. My senses felt deaf to the world. "Thanks..." I told him, feeling strange taking his stuff.

"You can put the wet clothes in here," he informed me, giving the bag to me.

I took it and looked at him, waiting for him to turn away so I can take off my shirt and put the hoodie on."Um, uh... Do you?"

Tristen gazed at me, confused as to what I meant, "Oh yeah, sure." He turned his back to me and chuckled, "Sorry."

As I changed into the purple hoodie, I noticed that his name was sprawled on the back, Morgan. Tristen Morgan? That popular second-year soccer player. How did I end up here with him, of all people? I put the wet clothes into the duffel bag. I put my hair into a pineapple on the top of my head. "Ahem!"

He understood the cue and relaxed in his car seat again. He glanced at me, looking me over in the hoodie. He leaned over and grabbed a flask from his glove compartment and extended it to me. I wanted to tell him that I didn't drink but I wasn't in a place to say no. Not after the day, I've had. I thought back to the recording and chills overwhelmed my arms.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," I cursed, grabbing my back, and going through it to find the mystery object left for me earlier. I found it and turned it on to see if it was working before checking if it got wet at all. I breathe a sigh of relief when I know it was fine.

"Everything okay?" At that, reluctantly but surely, I swiped the flask and took a sip. The liquid burned my throat on its way down, and I coughed, but it did warm me up. I took a couple more sips before giving it back and wiping my mouth with the sleeve of the hoodie.

Without another, Tristen put the car in drive and pulled out of the parking lot. "I promise to wash and return it as soon as possible."

He grinned, watching the road and then peered at me for a moment, scrutinizing me, not in a sexual way, "It's fine. It looks better on you, anyway." He focused on the road again with a smile. We drove in silence and I was grateful for that but I was also annoyed by it. "So where to?"

"West Side," I answered.

"You live on campus?" I nodded. "Cool."

"You don't?"

"Uh, no actually. I have my own place that I share with a roomie." He glanced at me quickly before stopping at the stop sign, "It's not as luxurious as a campus dorm room, but we make due." He said it while laughing and I couldn't not find his sarcasm funny.

As we drove, I watched trees outside pass in a blur. I still felt unwell thinking about what happened today. The creepy grin the blonde-haired guy gave me. I pictured him in his blue, white and yellow jersey and the name written across the back, number 7... Truthe. I'm jolted from my thoughts when the vehicle sputtered to a stop and Tristen pulled over. He tried to start the jeep but it spluttered once more.

"Not again," I heard him say as he got out of the car into the rain, "Stay here."

I sat in the car and watched him stand outside for a really good while, waiting for the car to cool down before popping the hood. I waited in the car as he tried to fix it. After some time, the rain stopped and I felt guilty sitting inside and doing nothing. I got out and walked around to the front of the vehicle to see if I could be of any help. "Hey, is everything okay?"

"Honestly, I don't know," he scratched his head, "The battery looks fine. I'm not due for an oil change so that's fine too and the coolant is enough." He pointed to the overflow bottle.

"May I?" I asked, stepping in front of the car to assess it myself.

He nodded, a little surprised that I wanted to take a look, "Yeah, sure." He moved out of the way.

I pulled up the sleeves of the hoodie to keep it from getting dirty. I then checked the battery and noticed, it's still got juice. I twisted at the bolts of each terminal, and they don't move. I looked a little closer, "You got a size six wrench or pliers I could use?"

"Yeah, hold on a sec," He came back with a pair of pliers. I unscrewed the terminal only for it to reveal the problem.

"Hey," I looked over at him, "I think I found the problem, the terminal's corroded."

"So what now, it's not like we're in any position to replace them," he was getting frustrated.

"Can I have that flask?" I asked.

He gaped at me in disbelief, almost like he was telling me this wasn't the time for a drink, "It's fine, you can trust me." I repeat his own words to him. He smiled slightly and gave me the flask.

I unscrewed the cork and poured the liquor on each battery terminal and watched it fizz. He came to stand beside me observing the science, "How do you know so much about cars?"

I grinned, "My dad taught me a couple of things when I was in high school." I mimicked my father's raspy tone, "I want to make sure you could handle yourself."

He nodded, a smile etching itself onto his soft-looking lips, that delicate feminine laugh escaping him. He brushed his dreadlocks out of his eyes, and I watched as they rest on his shoulders. I reconnected the terminal and closed the hood. I patted the hood of his blue Renegade Trailhawk. "Try it now." He hopped in and gave it a proper hum and it came to life. He jumped out of the car, cheering. He swooped me up in the air and spun around before putting me down. I was too shocked to say anything except laughed at his innocent excitement.

We got in and we were on the road again. "You're full of surprises, Mackenzie." I had been staring out the window until now, astonished that he said my name instead of calling me Pancake.

He felt me staring, "What?" He asked, clearly amused by my shock.

"Nothing," I responded, turning away again, and gazing out the window.

"Just wait till I tell Truthe you helped fixed my car-"

"Truthe?"

"Yeah, my roommate," He explained as he pulled in front of my dorm building.

My heart chastised me with fear, and without a goodbye, I grabbed my stuff and hopped out of the car. "Thanks."

"Wait, did I sa-" I ran up to the door and pushed it open, disappearing inside. I got into the elevator and pressed my floor number panicking. "He knows. Someone's been watching me."

I heard a ringtone so I went through my bag. The phone I had gotten earlier today was ringing. The call ID: X-S. I took a deep breath and answered, trying to sound braver than I was, "Hello."

To be continued...