4

4

"Eveline? That's a pretty name." Maggie gave it a little more thought, inclining her head and clicking her tongue, before making a slight shake of the head. "Can't say as I remember anyone called Eveline, of any age. I think I'd remember a name like that."

Scowling, Purdy turned her attention back to the book and shaking her own head as though she couldn't believe Maggie's denial. Either the author had changed the name of the main character, or they had made up the entire story. It didn't really matter, either way, but Purdy felt an urge to know, as though knowing the veracity of the story could enhance her appreciation of it.

"Well, what about the situation? They might have changed the name. If you recognise the situation, maybe you might remember the character's real name." Turning the book to face Maggie, Purdy used her forefinger to point to the passage. "It says the girl, Eveline, met her best friend here, Raya. They started talking as their parents talked and ended up knocking a table over while playing. Does that sound familiar? It says you told the parents it was fine, 'cups get broken all the time'?"

"Sounds like something I'd say. I've always got my cups and mugs second-hand for pennies." Leaning over, Maggie frowned as she read the section below Purdy's finger. "But, I dare say I've seen something like that happen loads of times over the years. A turned over table isn't as rare as you'd think. Actually, I remember once where you ... oh. Sorry."

Purdy always thought it best to ignore slips of the tongue, these days. At first, it had annoyed her. People making constant remarks and reminders about things that Purdy had no knowledge of. The people didn't understand why it bothered her so much. How could they? In truth, anyone else would probably find comfort in people passing on shared memories. All it did was make Purdy dwell upon a painful past.

Maggie looked as though she had kicked a dog by accident and immediately regretted it. Her hand had risen to her mouth and her eyes looked ready to break into tears. Purdy didn't know Maggie as well as Maggie knew Purdy, but even Purdy could tell the woman took things a little too much to heart.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. Honest." She tried to move the conversation back onto the course she wanted to follow, diverging sharply from that cul-de-sac of a memory she didn't want to know. "You're certain you don't remember something like this happening?"

"Not that I don't remember, love, but I've run this place for nigh on thirty years. Things like this happen all the time. Remembering one from another, well, it's like remembering lottery numbers from last month. You might be able to do it but, like as not, you can't." Here it came, that look of sympathy with a sad smile and a tilt of the head. A hand reaching out to squeeze Purdy's. It was sympathy for a person that no longer existed. "I wish I was more help. In everything. You know?"

"That's fine. It's fine." Purdy pulled her hand away, closing the book and leaning down to drop it into her large handbag. "It was just a wild speculation. That's all. Thank you. And for the coffee."

Scrambling to her feet, she forgot, in her haste about the lingering injury. Unable to hold her weight at such speed, she felt the strength ebb from her hip. Falling, she caught hold of the table, rocking it and spilling the coffee that she hadn't even sipped. Feeling her face flush, she grabbed her walking stick and handbag, rushing to leave.

Bumping into another customer, she almost span around, arresting her movement, she planted the walking stick down, taking short, fast breaths as she tried to regain her composure. She could feel everyone's eyes turn towards her. A hand tried to support her elbow and she flinched away, rushing to the door as fast her pained hip could carry her.

The tinkling of the bell above the door became muffled as she slammed it closed and strode away, up the street, heading somewhere else. Anywhere else. Keeping her head down, she chose a direction and moved that way. Only after she had walked for a few moments did she bring herself to stop, leaning back against a nearby wall. Tears welled up in her eyes. Not through sadness, or embarrassment, but through frustration. Everyone tried to help, but it only added to her frustrations.