THE BEGINNING OF IT ALL...

☾︎      ...     ☽︎

“REAP WHAT THEY SOW”

☾︎      ......      ☽︎

In 90 AC, ten years before tragedy struck, lived the Matriarchs of each house. Lady Avarra of House Varleanos, by marriage. And Princess Asfrea of House Vermaydore, by blood. The true heir to the throne.

For the two women loved each other so, their father, and father-in-laws did not. They made a promise to each other. Even going so far as to make a blood pact. The most valuable piece of Aspirian magic, made to bind two souls together until the end of time. And if one were to break the pact, the other would lose their life. One of which they will regret in two years time.

The women were around the ages Sixteen to Eighteen, when the disaster that would be the catalyst for chaos would take its course in history. As if dominoes falling down and causing the events of why we are here today. 

"Princess?" A knock came on the door. "You may come in," The young Asfrea groaned. According to the words of the townsfolk, Asfrea was the most beautiful among the Vermaydore siblings. With the long blonde locks, light blue enchanting eyes, cherry red lips and cheeks, she was the rose of the realm.

To be treasured and secured safely, as she was the trueborn heir to Aspiras throne. "What is it?" She sat up, as she had just woken up from her sleep. "Gods be good, it must be for a good reason to wake me up, at this early hour" She said, rubbing her eyes. "Your father…my Princess" The handmaid said, with slight fear laced in her tone.

"What About the King?" She said, straightening her posture and sensing something bad has happened. Her handmaidens never usually come bursting through her door like this. Especially at this early hour. "He had gotten into an incident, as he was sparring walking outside the palace walls," The handmaiden, Kaira, said hesitantly. "And?" Asfrea said.

"Kaira, my dear, please say it to me. I swear to the Gods, I will not be upset," She said, desperately, trying to get the information about her father. "He is dying, and his council would like to meet you at the Bright Table immediately." Kaira paused.

"And what of the attacker?" Asfrea queried. "The  perpetrator has fled the palace, after shortly piercing your father through the heart," 

"It is said that the attacker was hired..." Kaira trailed off.

Asfreas' heart dropped. Hired?  "Very well then," She blinked, attempting to process what had just happened. She knew the small yet controlled rivalry her parents had with the House Varlaenos.

But it certainly would not go to the extent of them taking her fathers life. Asfrea had already thought of who might have caused this. And her mind immediately went to the monarchs of House Varlaenos. Or so she thought…

"Shall I help you dress, Princess?" Kaira said, as Asfrea hurriedly got up from her soft bed. "No, I shall be fine. Make sure that my younger siblings will not find out yet. I do not wish to frighten them." She said, running off to her closet, filled with Blue, Yellow and White. House Vermaydores signature colours.

Without a thought, she picked the most appropriate dress fit for a council meeting. Asfrea had dreamed of being a part of the council. Or sitting inside and watching everything unfold while her father the king held meetings with the Rulers of each realm.

She had yearned for that ever since she was a child. She wished for it to be brought to her with grace, but not in this way. She hated the thought of it now. Having to attend it because her father was stabbed in the heart by a townsfolk, as he and his life were hanging on by a thread.

Asfrea rushed through the halls of the palace, frantically finding the room where the King's Council was holding its meeting. 

Finally, she reaches the large room where the King's Council, which was soon to be the Queen's Council meetings, were held. Asfrea reached the doors and busted them open, and to her surprise, the room was filled with Lord, Ladies, Queens and Kings from their allied realms. The entire area fell silent.

Asfrea, who hadn't been informed of what was happening, held her breath, as she fought tears. "My Queen," Lord Fairdorm spoke, breaking the silence as the entire room's eyes were on her. Everyone knelt. One by one. Each Lord, Princes and Princess knelt. As the Queens and the Kings bowed down to her. Asfrea couldn't believe it. Just then, a messenger boy gave her a scroll. 

"Darkness is near '' The note read, and that was all the confirmation Asfrea needed to know who exactly did this to her father. "Excuse me, for a moment" She told the room, as they all bowed again. She ran to her fathers chambers. Frantic.

She reached it, as the Elders were already taking her father's body away. Asfrea crumbled with each step they took, as she saw her father withering away slowly. "Frea," The dying King, managed to croak out. "Father…" Asfrea said, looking at the state of her father.

The Elders stopped walking to give their new Queen a moment with her father. "I trust you," He said slowly, as Asfrea held his hand. "Father, please no," She pleaded out. "You, are my heir," He said slowly, as Asfrea began to feel the light leaving his body. "You have studied our history and philosophy, and watched me as I made my mistakes and won my battles," He smiled weakly.

"I know you can do it, child," He said. "No, I can't…" Asfrea said, as she started to fall onto her knees. "You know what to do," He said, as he looked up at the ceiling. "No please my King…" She cried. "Don't!" She screamed.

"We will prevail through darkness, my Queen," He said. A moment of silence fell in his chambers. Wailing could be heard from within the Palace walls and it was rumored to have been heard even on the outside.

Without even wasting a second, the Elders immediately took the late King away, as the guard held the Queen back. "No! Let me come with them!" She wailed. "No!" She screamed as she fell on the floor.

The Elders are the ones that prepare the dead King, Queen, Prince or Princess' bodies. It's a sacred ritual and it was tradition that if the relatives of a royal were to cry on the death day of their Queen, King, Prince, or Princess, they would not be allowed to partake in the ritual.

As for Asfrea, who had forgotten about the rule, was forcefully being pulled back by the guards. The new Queen kept on screaming and crying, but her dearest friend, Avarra of House Yaermin of Braumenn, busted through the King's chambers.

Avarra had heard of the news through the whispers in the halls. To which she immediately dismissed, not believing that the King had truly passed away. "My sweet," Avarra spoke to a sobbing Asfrea. "They took him," She sniffed. "It's alright, just breathe.." Avarra said, "Try to breathe'' as she held Asfrea's hand.

She dismissed the guards and pulled Asfrea back on her feet. "They'll pay for what they've done to him" She seethed, as if venom was laced in her tone. "Reap what they sow?" Avarra said, referencing her House's motto. "Yes," Asfrea said. "Exactly." She said with fury in her eyes.

"My Princess-" Jaegor of House Fairdorm said. "Queen…" He said. Asfreas' mood lightened up a little, as Avarra gave her a smirk. Asfrea and Jaegor had fancied each other. Everyone could tell. Except for them.

"I'm truly sorry, but I assume that your handmaidens are asking for you," He said gently, approaching her. Asfrea was a mess, currently. Puffy eyes, messy hair, and a dirty gown. Quickly, she fixed herself to look presentable in front of the boy.

"You must go, and prepare yourself Frea," Avarra said, facing the Queen to her, and rubbing her arms up and down. Asfrea nodded and faced Jaegor and walked towards him. She gave Avarra one last look before she left, and she ran back to hug her best friend tightly.

Avarra smiled weakly for her mourning friend, and hugged her back tightly, as tears pooled her eyes once more. Asfrea blew Avarra a kiss and flashed her a weak smile, as she took Jaegor’s hand to escort her to her chambers where she would change from her bright and happy gowns, to dark a sorrowful black, a colour that she now was starting to despise.