31

"Do ya tank Louis will beh more pissed when he finds out dat yeh let meh drive yer car?"

I quickly look over at him in time to see that big beautiful grin of his. I shake my head at him attempting to hide my smile. Leave it to Niall to make jokes way too soon. Before I know it my house is coming into view. I haven't had the time to admire it but in this moment with the landscaping lights creating a warm glow to the stone house, it is magical. He pulls around the fountain stopping and parking in front of the steps.

I unbuckle my seatbelt quickly, "I won't be long, just changing..try not to get into trouble please."

"Can't make yeh any promises princess!" He playfully smacks my ass on the way out of the car.

I turn to flip him off before placing my key into the lock and opening the door. I can feel my smile growing as I place my purse onto the foyer table. I take three steps up the stairs to the second floor before stopping completely. I focus for a second before turning toward the hall to see a flickering light coming from the kitchen. I walk back down the three steps slowly making my way toward the light. The sound of my heels is loud against the tiled floor once stepping into the kitchen.

Pots and pans cover the stovetop. An empty bottle of white wine sits on top of the counter no longer needed and alone. I turn the corner into the dining room to see half lit candles cover the centerpiece of the table. Two china plates sit directly across from each other one completely empty and the other still full of some sort of pasta.

"Shit." I whisper.

"It's late. I called you a few times, but you wouldn't pick up."

I jump slightly at the sound of his deep voice. He's drunk. I turn to see him standing just inside the opposite entrance to the dining room from the front room. His light blue shirt is unbuttoned to his sternum revealing some of his tan chest. His hands rest inside of the pockets of his fitted black pants. I notice he cut his hair, making it look even cleaner than before. His eyes are dark and I can't seem to read his mood.

"I haven't been able to check it.." I finally respond.

"Late night at work on your first day back?" He slowly takes a step inside of the room.

"Josh I'm s.."

"I'm really trying here sweetheart." He smiles.

I look down seeing the nearly empty glass of wine in his hand. I stand a little straighter the closer he gets to me. The sound of my heartbeat grows louder with each rise of my chest. The room is silent except his steps further into the room and closer to me.

"Look we need to talk, maybe tomorrow ok?" I try.

He stops right in front of me. I can smell the sweet wine coming from his wet lips. His jawline is firm and strong. It nearly makes me upset that I can't forgive him, but what is beauty if there is no love?

"..but I'm here now Mia."

The sound of his voice brings chills down my spine. It is too quiet. His eyes are narrowed, rigid almost, cold, and hard. Instantly I knew he is far passed gone. In this moment I am the enemy. I look down to see his free hand ball into a fist. He is trying to keep his cool, I know this but he is fighting a losing battle. I know Joshua and anger always gets the best of him, especially when he is drinking.

"Oh wait, do you not have time? Are you too busy slutting it around town!" He roars in my face.

I take a step back in shock. His voice is so loud and thunderous that I can't concentrate on what he said only the tone in which he had said it. I've seen him upset numerous of times but not like this. He is becoming a whole other person right before my eyes. His teeth clench before he opens his mouth to chug the rest of what is in the wine glass.