15

I listen to the sound of inhale and exhale coming from my mouth. My head is leaning against the cool glass of the window, the heat from my body making it fog slightly. The shining light from the street post provides me with vision to see inside of my car. I lift my head slowly turning to look at where he was sat about twenty minutes ago.

I’m finding it difficult to figure out what to make of the situation. Is it even a situation? I don’t know anything about him other than he races, owns the shop, and is friends with my brother. Sure I studied him and he’s arrogant and indecisive of his own emotions but what does he want from me? What do I even want from him?

I can’t bring myself to lie and say nothing. It doesn’t seem right. I’ve never felt anything like this and he isn’t making it easy. One minute he is kissing me and then next he is telling me to stay away from him. No one has ever occupied my mind the way that he does mine.

I jump at the buzzing sound disrupting the silence I am drowning in. I sit up trying to pin point exactly where it is coming from. I notice my bag on the floor of the car by my feet. I reach down pulling it upon my lap and reaching inside for my cellphone. I check the screen to see Joshua’s number flashing brightly. I quickly reject the call, looking up at the bright moon. Not more than two minutes later does my phone buzz again.

I annoyingly slide to answer it, “Listen Josh, you really need to stop..”

“Dr. Tomlinson?”

“Annie?” I say pulling the phone from my ear to see the screen showing her number. “Oh my gosh, I’m sorry I thought you were someone else.” I apologize.

“Clearly.” She giggles nervously.

“Is everything alright? Do you need something?” I ask quickly.

“Um, no. I’m fine. I was actually just calling to see maybe if you would like to grab a late dinner or drink? I don’t really know many people here so I figured I would call you.” She quickly responds.

Her offer catches me off guard a bit. Not used to going out with a “friend” I’m not really sure how to respond. I think about the evening I have had and consider my options. Going out with my receptionist sounds a lot better than going back home to my parents who are surely waiting to speak to me about something I am still not ready to discuss.

“Actually, I think I will join you.” I smile. “If you want I can come get you? I offer while stepping out of my car and walking over to the drivers’ side.

“Perfect, I’ll text you the address.” She says before disconnecting the call.

A half hour later we are walking into the “tavern” of the town. Soft rock music is playing in the background. The place isn’t the most fancy, instead being made of mostly wood, sticky floors, and a musky scent filling the air, but something about its worn out simplicity makes it feel peaceful. I avoid making eye contact with others inside of the place; I don’t do well with it outside of my office. I can’t handle being judged even though I am a profiler myself. It’s part of my job.

“Um, lets go to this booth over here..” I hear Annie suggest from beside me.

I nod to confirm my agreement. I slide into the leather seat. I slip my purse from my arm letting it sit beside me as I slide off my black jacket. I rub my hands on the cloth of my jeans that rests above my thighs before placing my arms on the semi clean table.

“Have you ever been here?” She asks while looking up from her cell.

“Uh, no..never. You?”

She smiles, “No, but I’ve heard of it.”

“What can I get you ladies?” A waitress appears.