Chapter Eight

For the first time that winter, Charlie did not have to wake up Will after her alarm went off eight times. She had a big day ahead of her, and she was so excited that she got up 15 minutes before her alarm, and wasn't even mad at it.

She dressed in a pair of black jeans and a red sweater, tying her hair up in a braid. She wouldn't want it whipping in her face as she drove the motorcycle.

She ran downstairs and bounced into the kitchen where Charlie was reading the paper. He got off on weekends and Friday nights, a police officer wasn't exactly a busy job in such a small town. Charlie often said the game wardens saw more action than he did.

"Hey, Dad!"

Charlie eyed his daughter suspiciously. He had seen a news program about children taking Adderall to help study and wondered if Will was on it. She was never this energetic in the morning.

"Bella and I are going to Jake's... but I won't be back until late tonight."

Charlie's eyebrows raised and he cleared his throat. "Why?"

"She has a date!" Bella called from the living room

"No I don't," Will giggled, but when she saw her father's stern look she changed her tone. "I seriously don't, Dad. Sam and Emily invited me over to dinner."

Charlie seemed relieved. "Sam is a good person. Who else is gonna be there?"

"Uhh..."

"Paul Lahote."

"ISABELLA! Would you stop snitching!"

"He's in love with Will."

Will rubbed her temple as she plotted a murder. "Dad, seriously, we're just friends, if that. He's annoying."

The man shrugged and went back to his paper. "He seems like a nice boy. Very respectful at your soccer games."

Bella's mouth gaped open as Will gave her a taunting smile. She had heard all about how Charlie made a display of cleaning his gun when Edward came around for the first time (to his knowledge). It made Will happy that her father approved of Paul, although she'd never admit it.

The girl sat down and took the mug of coffee that Charlie offered her with a small smile. He wasn't exactly happy with her caffeine addiction, but in the half year that he had been living with her, he had grown to accept it.

"Girls, I have something I need to talk to you about," Charlie said, clearing his throat awkwardly.

Bella popped up from the couch and clumsily slid into the kitchen, using the bottom of her socks as skates that propelled her forward. Will watched in horror as the girl narrowly escaped three accidents and finally propped herself up on the fridge. "Is mom okay?"