Chapter Four

Will unlocked the front door, dreaming about her lovely bed after a long shift. For once she almost wished it was raining, at least then the weather would reflect her gloomy mood.

The past couple of days had been hectic, especially with everything that had happened at Bella's birthday party. Will was questioning everyone and everything, trying to guess what their intentions and motivations were, even when they didn't have any. If the Cullens were hiding in plain sight, what else was crouching in the shadows, ready to attack?

She had taken to calling her sister and father every few hours to check up on them, and if Renee didn't reply to her emails within a day she would call Phil.

Will closed and locked the door behind her, glanced around the living room for any signs of disturbances, and tried opening the locked door several times. It was hard to feel safe these days.

Did she trust the Cullens? Maybe. Probably yes, but she had to make sure.

"Isabellaaaa!" She called, shrugging out of her jacket and kicking off her shoes. When there was no answer, she called again. "BELLA!"

Will looked down and realized that Bella's shoes and jacket weren't where they usually were. That was odd, she wasn't working today, where could she be?

Will could feel her heart dropping as she ran up the stairs, the tiredness that previously weighed her down disappearing in a matter of seconds. Had Edward done something? She thought he was leaving!

The brunette threw the door open without knocking only to find that her suspicions were true. Bella was missing.

She ran back down the stairs, reminding herself that most likely, everything was okay. Will dialed Rosalie's number, who had given the digits in a crumpled-up piece of paper before she left after the party. Will tapped her foot as she heard the other end ring, and when it clicked to the messaging system she hung up with a curse.

She flipped through the phonebook, landing on the S' and scanning the page before finding Jessica's number. It was unlikely the two girls were hanging out, but Will had a bad feeling and had to make sure that everything was okay.

Will knew that Bella and Jess had been friends before the brunette cast all of her friends aside to spend more time with Edward.

"Heyy, this is Jess!" Came the girl's high-pitched voice with giggles in the background.

"Yo, it's Will Swan, is Bella there with you?"

"Umm, no. Why? She supposed to?"

Will took a deep breath in. "Don't freak out, but when's the last time you saw her?"

"Oh. Oh, my God, is something wrong?"

"Jess, I told you, don't freak out. It could be nothing. Just... try your best to remember."

"GUYS! Quiet down, I can barely hear myself think!" Jessica screeched to whoever was with her. "Ummm... She was in Lang... chem, too. Uhh... lunch! Yeah, lunch, she went with Edward for a walk in the woods."

Will bit her lip and put her arm out to the wall to steady herself, brunette tresses falling in front of her face. "Did you see her after that?"

"No, no, she never showed back up..."

"Okay, Jessica, do not tell anyone. I'm going to call my father, see what he thinks we should do."

"Will," Jess said, her voice becoming soft, "Do you want me to come over or something?"

Will moved the curtain to the side and peeked out at the sky, which was rapidly becoming dark. She had only talked to the Stanley girl once or twice before about sports, but it would really be nice to have a friend here with her. "Uhm, could you?"