2 So We Meet Again

Start from the beginning

He smiles and playfully knocks his knee against mine. "Thanks. Just trying to keep up with you."

I can feel myself blush, and I force myself to look away.

He lets out a groan. I find a grimace on his face.

"You okay, Big Guy?" I ask.

"Oh yeah. Just getting old." He chuckles. "I pulled something in my lower back chopping wood yesterday. Hence my slow start today."

"You should soak it in the hot tube after this. That thing does miracles from muscle aches," I selfishly suggest, leaning forward with my elbows on my knees.

"Yeah. Sounds like a good idea. I think–"

He doesn't finish his sentence because his watch buzzes. Cal presses a few things and then tries to find his train of thought. Then his watch lets out two long buzzes.

"Damn," he says, standing and looking down at his wrist.

Suddenly, inches from my face is Cal's hearty skin flute. His crotch is close enough for me to smell the mix of chlorine and man scent. I press my lips together with all of my might. I look up at him and see that he is looking past his watch and has his eyes on me.

"I have to make a call. Stupid work matters," he says breaking our stare-off.

I lean back to let him through. He smirks as his eyes flick to my crotch. I realize why. Standing at half mass, my dick has betrayed me.

Now completely mortified, I take this as a perfect time to head to the hot tub. I step down into the bath. The square of inviting water can hold four men comfortably, but I have been here when more have climbed in. Ten minutes later, Cal joins me. I can't keep my eyes off his body as he drops down into the water. As he stands there deciding which seat to take, his staff and orbs bob along the water's surface.

"The jet right here," I point to the spot adjacent to me, "hits your lower back the best."

"Perfect," he says, sinking down beside me.

He fidgets a bit, trying to get comfortable. His leg rests against mine and he doesn't move it.

"Everything okay with work?" I ask.

"Fuck if I know," Cal replies in an out-of-character gruffness. "Sorry. Work is some of the reasons I am falling apart."

He lets out a sad chuckle. I don't laugh. A feeling of concern bubbles up in me.

"How so?" I ask.

He pauses. I feel I have over-stepped.

"My job is...a lot. It's crazy. It's some of why things with my wife went badly."

"So," I say, "quit."

"It's not that easy. It's a family business and I inherited it–even though everyone knew I didn't want it."

"So why did you take it?"

Cal lets out a long sigh. "It's complicated."

"Okay. Well if you need an ear, I'm here."

He smiles. "Thank you, Ryan. I appreciate that."

It goes quiet between us. Cal scoots around a bit more, his face scrunching.

"So what is your plan tomorrow for turkey day?" I ask.

"Shit," he says. I can't tell if that is his answer to me, or if something else is going on.

"Sorry. I can't get the water jet to hit the spot on my back I need."

"Here, get up," I say, pulling at his arm as I stand.