Chapter 1

Shana's POV

"That would be all. Do you have any questions regarding your medications, sir?", I asked professionally with a tired smile plastered on my face.

"Is it drowsy?"

The man dressed in a green polo shirt looking slightly older than his age questioned, dragging each syllable, as he looked at me with emptiness in his eyes.

The type of look where he just wants to end it but having no energy to execute it.

His movements followed were rather sluggish and slow.

If I did not check his age in the patient information nor look at his face, I would assume that he is an old man.

"Yes it is, sir. As I have explained it earlier, it is a common side effect. Please do not drive or operate any machinery upon taking this medication as it can be dangerous." I responded empathetically.

Mr Samuel, aged 23, diagnosed with chronically severe depression.

Often suicidal.

He had symptoms since a decade back but he never once came forward due to anxiety and fear his parents would beat him up.

Childhood trauma.

I frowned looking at the updated medical records. He is currently staying alone and he drives grab for a living.

"Alright, thank you."

He said with a slow nod as he re-read the instruction label plastered on his medications, trying to commit it to memory before he stuffed it back into the medicine bag.

I eyed his movements with sadness as this man reminds me of myself.

I'm not one who loves people but I empathise with those who were abused; those who were suffering alone, stuck in a loop of the never ending agony.

Chronic depression where the symptoms vary.

Trouble concentrating, delayed body movements, anxiety and the feeling of emptiness just to name a few.

All of which can be seen from this man who was standing right before me.

Perhaps if we met in other places, like in a class or something, I would have approached him to cheer him up a little, though I know very well, it will do little good.

Speaking just based on experience.

"If you don't have any other questions, please make your way to the cashier behind you for payment." I said with a smile while gesturing him to the back of the pharmacy.

The queue is rather long at this time.

Especially since 2 cashier's staff are on medical leave, the remaining 2 have to work extra hard to compensate for efficiency.

Cara and Gabby have lines etched to their forehead due to stress.

They looked irritated trying to carefully submit the payment into the system whilst intermittently answering the questions some patients asked and, occasionally, looking at the clock.

I do not know why but I was rather amused.

They're definitely going to talk about it tomorrow at lunch about how some patients are asking ridiculous questions yet still having to answer politely to maintain the hospital's reputation.

I glanced at the clock hung on the pillar right beside the cashier, 4.58pm.

Looks like some people have to work overtime today.