The Future

The basement is even deeper than the rest of the cave system. If the main level was two hundred feet below the surface, this one's got to be four times that. My legs are exhausted by the time we get down. I'm not excited for the trip back up.

"Welcome to the technology level," one of the two scientists says. "We've determined, after some trial and error, that this is as close as we can get to the surface and still use electricity without any of the negative repercussions."

"Why didn't you just build everything on this level?" Holly asks.

"It makes it easier on those who have to go to the surface daily," the second scientist explains. "I mean, we're already out of breath. Can you imagine doing this more than once a day?"

The two scientists break to plan how to test Aurora and her powers. One of them mutters something about energy fields and technology tests, while the other boots up a large circular machine in the center of the room.

In the meantime, the four of us wander the room, soaking in all the strange future technologies. Even Sola seems enthralled by some of the creations.

"When did this whole galvaknight thing start?" Holly asks, picking up some sort of disc.

"Maybe twenty years ago," Sola answers. "I was only a baby at the time, so I didn't get to see it all unfold. That's honestly for the better."

"What exactly happened?"

"Well, nobody's really figured that out. Some think the robots came from Earth after destroying it, but some think there were two groups of galvaknights that attacked separately. Either way, we have no way of knowing who made these. There's a rumor it was some tech company on Earth gone rogue, but that's just as likely as aliens making them. Not that we've ever seen aliens."

"You guys have never seen aliens?"

"Maybe that's a little misleading. Native indigenous life exited on Alpha Centauri, but none of it intelligent like us."

"Hmm."

I pick up a gun, similar to the one Sola had when they found us while out scavenging. It looks hastily thrown together, and falls apart when I grab it.

"Well, whoa, whoa," one scientist says. "Do not mess with that, please. That is an experimental weapon we've been testing to shoot and kill the galvaknights. It doesn't use any electricity."

"Wait, why do you guys have guns that use electricity?"

"It's just the way of the future," the other scientist says. "Lasers, phasers, death rays and more. Science-fiction in your time, but it's been a reality for maybe two thousand years."

"The centrifuge is ready," the first one says, standing behind a riot shield. "Let's put the rabbit in."

"What's this thing do?"

"This centrifuge will tell us what your little buddy is made of. It gives us an elemental decomposition accurate to the nearest thousandth percent of body weight."

"I'm sorry I asked."

"If you'll just please set it in there, we'll get this show on the road."

"Is this going to hurt her?"

"I am 99.9% sure it won't. Centrifuges like this were used on people and animals long before the galvaknights attacked."

Holly hesitantly places Aurora in the centrifuge and stands back behind the glass shield with us.

"Wait, why do we need a blast shield if this is supposed to be 99.9% safe?"

"In case that .1% happens."

The scientist smashes the button to boot up the centrifuge, which produces a loud whirring noise. It picks up speed almost immediately and turns into a blur. Every once in a while, we can see Aurora peeking through the white walls of the machine.

The noise continues getting more high-pitched until we can no longer hear it, and it looks like the centrifuge is completely still.

That's when sparks begin to fly. The centrifuge smokes, and one section of the machine collapses inward. Without hesitation, the scientist smashes the off button, and the centrifuge slowly whirrs down.

"What was that?" Sola asks.

"I'm not sure. I've never seen that happen. It could be because the machine is old, but I did a test run earlier."

While the scientists look over the data that they were able to collect, Holly and I go to grab Aurora from the machine. She simply sniffs the air, unaffected by the chaos.

I wonder if she actually is sentient. She hasn't really done anything.

Well, that's not true. She attacked the captain back on the Hindenburg.

"This is impossible," one of the scientists says. "What do we even do with this information?"

"Could it just be corrupted?" suggests the other scientist. "After all, the process didn't get to finish."

"What's happening?" Holly asks.

"Well, it can't be right, but it looks like your little friend has a heart. Not only that, but the heart isn't made from any known element. No protons, neutrons, or electrons. But whatever it is, it's there."

"Okay, you're losing me on some of this."

"It means your little rabbit friend contains impossible matter. Matter that goes against everything we know regarding our current universe."

"Oh. What can we do with this information?"

"Well, we're not totally sure. That's the problem."

"But," the other scientist chimes in instantaneously, "we might be able to do more if you'll leave her here with us."

They both get uncomfortably close to us again, putting the pressure on.

"I—"

Holly opens her mouth to talk, but I grab her and motion for her to come with me. She keeps Aurora tucked under her arm.

I don't know if we can trust them, I write. They're acting a little suspicious.

"Well, but, I don't—"

I shake my head and hand her the pen. She starts writing.

Maybe they're just a little quirky.

I'm not sure. Plus, what if Aurora suddenly teleports again and we're not there?

Holly scrunches her nose. I don't think I've noticed her do that when she's thinking. To be fair, I never paid her much attention before.

"Okay, so here's the deal: Tes needs Aurora around. She has some super serious anxiety, and Aurora is like her service animal."

"I understand what you're saying," one of them answers, "but think of the science behind this. All the untapped potential."

"Yeah, but it's just gonna have to happen only while we are here. Her having another breakdown is not something that's in any of our best interests."

This time, it's the scientists' turns to stand and think.

"Okay, how about sometime tomorrow, then? Gives us a chance to have a plan of action."

Holly looks at me. I nod.

"There's your answer."

"In that case," Sola says, cutting into the conversation, "the four of us are going to head out now. I still have some more touring to do."

"All right. Same time tomorrow. Don't hold out on us."