ii. real life

SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WAS WEIRD HOW CLOSE CHARLOTTE WAS TO THE BAND. Which made no sense in the literal sense because she was their manager, she was paid to be close to them. She worked with them 98% of the year and had done since got the job at the end of 2018. And also any other type of sense because no matter what capacity she worked with the band she would have to be close to them in some way to work with them day in, day out. So snide comments on the internet about her always boggled her brain.

Although these said people were people she had never met in her life and the odd jealous fan because she was a young pretty girl who got to spend each day with their favourite band. It was water off a duck's back the majority of the time and it was never as bad as it was when the teens would come after her when she worked with Niall or The Vamps. But sometimes it was still a little intense.

Not that she could help it at all, it was the nature of the job to know everything about them and put up with all their shit! But she didn't mind because as much it was her job. They were some of her closest friends and if she didn't like them she would have quit a long time ago.

The worst part of the job was when she posted pictures with the boys and someone would point out how close she was to Howie or why was Brian kissing her cheekily on the cheek at some random event or why were Nick or AJ touching her waist like that or why did she live with Kevin during lockdown. That's when most of the hate would come flooding in but most of the time she ignored it. Their fans were of an older demographic now and it wasn't as bad as she had endured with her previous artists.

Over the years she had grown to figure out the different types of fans artists have and how they react to certain things. Niall was a whole different kettle of fish because he had just come out of the world's biggest boyband and they were at the top end of the scale but with The Vamps.

Connor was the baby of the group, his fans were young and fell in love quickly. Tris had this edge to him that his fans gravitated towards, his fans having that same sort of energy. James; the sweetest person alive, who spoke so eloquently, his fans always having that softer side to them too. Then there was Bradley. The lead singer with the charm to match and his fans were the most intense when it came to 'their man' they didn't like anyone being close to him never mind when it came out they were seeing each other a few years after she had left the group.

It was the same with the backstreet boys. They all had dedicated fans individually and as a group. They all had that appeal. Kevin was the wise older figure with his beautiful rich voice. Howie was the sweet handsome one. Brian the cheeky one. AJ the "bad boy" of the group and Nick was baby of the group.

Even though they were now forty and older; those roles still played the part, their fans all dedicated and defensive and very protective of them to anyone who may infiltrate their world. So even though, yes. She was close individually with all of the boys. Charlotte didn't think they'd ever understand because they would never get to experience the same ridiculous life as them.

There was no way on earth that Charlotte would reveal she was closet to the youngest of group. That they shared a tour bus and bonded over their love of the same type of music, travelling and the simplicity of doing nothing but watching reruns of Friends and The Office. Or that the boys teased her about her love life or currently lack of because she knew that the minority would try pick it apart and conjure up some ridiculous story and to be honest Charlotte didn't have the time to deal with it.

***

LIFE ON THE ROAD WAS ALWAYS A WILD RIDE. Though for the boys being away from their families, their kids and their other halves was always made up for in terms of spending time with their fans, getting perform all across the world and their little tour family. The boys were grateful for all of the above especially their manager, they told her on a regular basis. No matter how much they loved to annoy her, she knew they loved her just as much.

They were on the second leg of their European tour after the initial leg they had participated in before the pandemic had hit. Having just finished up in Italy. The band were about to head to Germany and the colder of the European countries before heading to Charlotte's home country and she wanted to stay ahead of flu season and avoid any of them getting sick.

So with the inspiration of Ariana's vocal remedy kit that she prepped for her contestants on The Voice in her head and the help of one Kevin Richardson they were out exploring the city of Hamburg as he accompanied her on her little shopping trip.

Armed each with a cup of coffee and wrapped up in their winter coats, the pair walked through the brisk late October air as they approached a local pharmacy for everything she specifically needed for her packets.

"So what are we doing again? You're not sick are you? Don't run yourself down because you're looking after us lot. I'm sure the other idiots can look after themselves for a few days while you rest up!" Kevin reached for her arm to keep her from running down the aisle.

Stopping in her tracks, Charlotte looked at the older man warmly. "Promise I'm not sick. Thanks for looking out for me Kev." The brunette smiled and squeezing his hand appreciatively. "Actually, I'm trying to stop you boys from getting sick. We've still got the rest of the European leg to go and we've hit flu season. My main priority right now is your health. Anything else is minor until we head home for Thanksgiving."

"We're not gonna get sick." Kevin chuckled.

"You don't know that! Plus I just want to make you these cute little remedy kits. I saw Ariana do it on The Voice. I'm talking Manuka honey, lemon, ginger, vocalzones, cold & flu remedies, hot water bottles. I'm not taking chances. Not on my watch Richardson!"

"I'm sure it won't!" Kevin threw his arm over her shoulder as they carried on down the aisles. "Nothing you do goes unnoticed or unappreciated you know. We all love you."

"I know." Charlotte smiled up at him, a warmth filling her chest at his sweetness. "I love you too!"

"Me more than the others though right?!" He chuckled deeply.

"Maybe. But don't tell the others. Especially Nick. I hate it when he pouts at me. Thinks he can get away with all sorts of shit!"

Kevin let out a loud laugh at that, agreeing Nick's puppy dog eyes have got him out of loads of stuff over the years before they gathered up the rest of Charlotte's shopping and headed back to the hotel for her to create her little project she seemed so excited to start.

{author's note} Second chapter! Hope you like the little bit of context and a glimpse at her relationship with Kevin! Don't forget to like and comment!