Part Eight

Of all the skills his wife could possibly possess, he didn't think harvesting pearls would be one of them. Even the traveling merchants Caspian knew rarely had them because they were so hard to come by. But here was Marina, who came home every afternoon with four or five pearls for him to sell to the caravans.

He now knew that Marina wasn't who he thought she was. It was possible that he'd completely missed the mark when it came to her origins. But his wife remained tight-lipped about it no matter how many times he asked, so he hardly tried anymore.

"Marina!" Caspian waved his hand when he saw Marina returning from the beach. "Over here!"

Marina's face lit up as she waved back. "Caspian!"

He parked his cart on the side of the dirt road before hurrying towards her. Caspian caught her by the waist and spun her around as soon as they came close enough. His heart warmed when he heard her laugh.

"Someone got lucky again," he said as he put her down.

"Really?"

"We sold all our stock, Marina!" Caspian cupped her cheeks, framing her smile between his fingers. His voice was rising to unimaginable heights out of excitement, but he couldn't care less. "That's two weeks in a row! We have enough money to bring Verna back and set up her establishment in town. We can even start another business."

Marina's reply was much more subdued. She grasped his wrists and looked up at him with her familiar wide eyes. "What kind?"

"The pearls, Marina," Caspian explained. "We can sell them to rich folks, maybe even accept commissions if we find someone who can craft jewelry. We'll be swarmed with patrons from near and far."

The thought had come to him while he was going around the market.

Mister Bailey had built a few stalls and apartments that he rented out to anyone who needed the space. He'd always wanted to acquire one for his sister's future shop. Maybe they could have a second for Marina and himself.

However, his wife didn't seem to be as interested in the idea as he was. "I thought we were only saving for what we already wanted."

"It doesn't hurt to want a little more, right?" Caspian released her face, only to reach for her hands. "What do you think about a cottage abroad? Or a brand new wagon with more space?"

Marina tilted her head. "Won't a big wagon be harder to pull over the bluff?"

"I'm sure I'll manage. I know every dip and turn of this bluff, after all. Or we can buy a donkey to pull it for us, if you want."

His wife pressed her lips together. "Mm."

"Marina?" Caspian let go of her hands. It had been a long time since she replied to him with this kind of pensive silence. "Hey. What's wrong?"

He wouldn't force any new changes on her if she didn't want them. He didn't want her to take on a role that she didn't like, not when she was already comfortable drying fish and retrieving pearls. She only had to say the word, and he'd set his ideas aside for another time.

A wagon or a little jewelry shop could wait.

"Nothing." Marina shook her head. "Just tired, is all."

Caspian did think that her face was a little pale this afternoon. Her complexion was so fair, though, that he hardly noticed the change. But now, he could see some of her blue veins beneath her wrists and cheeks.

"Do you want to rest?" he asked.

Marina's smile returned. It wasn't as big as before, but it was a start. "For a little while."