8

"All right, Miss Benson," Mr. Smith said, pushing back his chair. "If you don't have any further questions, I think we're done here."

"I can't think of anything else to ask." Rita picked up her purse and rose to her feet.

"You have my cell phone number." Mr. Smith stood. "Please call at any time, and of course, I'll be in touch."

"Thank you for your help, Mr. Smith." Rita offered the funeral director her hand. "Planning a funeral is difficult. Your calm demeanor and kindness have made the experience easier to endure. I appreciate it."

He smiled at her, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. "I'm glad I could ease some of the burden." He gazed across the room and found Jack standing in the doorway. "Is something wrong, Mr. Keller?"

"No, sir," Jack said. "I'm just checking on Miss Benson."

Rita turned to look at Jack. "I'm ready to leave."

"I'll walk you to the door," Mr. Smith said, moving around his desk. "I have to-" He broke off, his phone ringing.

"Please take your call," Rita told him. "I can show myself out."

"Good afternoon then," he said, inclining his head.

Rita wished Mr. Smith a good afternoon and then left the office. Jack fell into step beside her, his hand coming to rest on the small of her back. His touch calmed the storm of emotions raging inside of her.

"I know you have a meeting in twenty minutes," Jack said quietly, "but why don't you cancel it and let me buy you a cup of tea and something to eat. You can have whatever you want. You barely touched your lunch. You need to eat to keep up your strength."

The thought of food made Rita feel nauseated. "Thank you, but I'm not hungry."

Jack sighed heavily. "Have it your way."

They stepped outside, Jack's eyes scanning their surroundings. He hurried Rita to the car and opened the back door on the passenger side. Once Rita was safely inside, he closed the door and moved around the car. Opening the door, he slid in beside her.

"Where to next, Miss Rita?" Joseph inquired, starting the car.

Rita gave him the address.

As they left the funeral home parking lot, Jack glanced over at Rita and caught her rubbing the skin where her engagement ring had been. He leaned in close and whispered to her, "I know something happened between you and Tyler. It's none of my business, but if you want to talk about it-"

"I don't," Rita interrupted him.

"If you change your mind, I'm here for you," Jack wanted her to know.

"Thank you," Rita uttered softly.

Jack nodded.

That evening found Jack sitting in his favorite chair with his feet up, unwinding with a beer. Rita had no plans for the night which meant unless something bad happened, he was off the clock until morning.

Jack took a drink of beer, returned the bottle to the end table next to him, and leaned his head back against the cushion. He could hear Nathan and Jonathan in the kitchen talking about the football game they watched the night before. Tuning them out, he closed his eyes and breathed in deeply.

At that moment, Sam walked into the living room. "Hey, Jack," he said.

Jack opened his eyes and saw Sam had a worried expression on his face. "What's wrong, man?"

"I just came from the main house," Sam said, taking a seat on the couch. "Were you aware that Rita broke off her engagement to Tyler?"

Before Jack could answer the question, Jonathan and Nathan entered the room.

"What's up?" Jonathan queried.

"I was just asking Jack if he was aware that Rita had broken off her engagement to Tyler?" Sam said.

"I was aware that her engagement was over," Jack said. "I noticed she wasn't wearing her engagement ring. I wasn't aware that she was the one to break it off. I asked her if she wanted to talk. She didn't. I didn't push the subject."

"I feel bad for her, but I'm glad she's not marrying that prick." Nathan perched on the coffee table. "She was too good for him. I don't have a clue what she saw in him."

"Why did she end it?" Jonathan asked.

Jack raised an eyebrow at Sam. "And how did you find out she ended it?"

He cleared his throat. "I didn't mean to, but I overheard a phone conversation between Rita and her friend Katie. She was telling Katie how Tyler demanded she get rid of you. Rita refused, saying she couldn't go out in public unprotected."

"Damn right she can't," Jonathan muttered.

"Tyler wanted to hire a bodyguard for her," Sam said.

"Sure, he did," Nathan said, shaking his head with disgust. "He wanted to hire someone he could control. He couldn't control Jack and he hated that."

Jack grinned. "And I enjoyed every second of it."

Sam sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm not going to tell you everything Rita said. I will say that Tyler gave her an ultimatum. She either get rid of you or they were finished."

"Asshole," Jonathan said coolly.

"Try no good bastard," Nathan snarled, his eyes flashing with anger.

"Rita gave him back his ring and left." Sam rubbed the nape of his neck and grimaced. "She was crying while talking to Katie. I wanted to comfort her so badly. I couldn't. I wasn't meant to hear what she said. I didn't want to upset her further by revealing that I had eavesdropped. I waited until it was safe and then got out of there."

Jack grabbed his beer and took a long drink. The alcohol did nothing to ease the knots in his stomach. He hated being the reason Rita was broken-hearted. However, he didn't hate that she had broken off her engagement. Nathan was right when he said Rita was too good for Tyler.

"Mr. Benson will be pleased when he learns Tyler is out of the picture," Jonathan said.

"He won't learn the news from us," Jack said. "Sam never eavesdropped on Rita, and we never had this conversation. Got it?"

"Got it," the men said in unison.

Jack passed a hand over his face. "We'll carry on like we always have."

"Having Tyler gone will make our job easier," Nathan said.

"Hopefully the next man she gets with won't be such a douchebag," Jonathan said.

"Something tells me Miss Rita won't be getting with a man anytime soon." Sam rose from the couch. "I'm going to take a shower."

"I think I'll grab a snack and read in my room," Nathan said.

"Don't touch my cookies," Jonathan said, following Nathan from the room.

Alone, Jack turned his thoughts to Rita. He was going to do everything in his power to make sure her sacrifice wasn't in vain. 

A/N: Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. Hope you enjoy the chapter. :)