6

Rita frowned at her phone. She had just tried calling Tyler, and like the last three times, she got his voicemail. He was avoiding her. Sighing heavily, she set aside the phone.

"I heard that sigh from the hallway," Mr. Benson said, walking into the living room. "What's wrong, honey?"

"It's Tyler," Rita replied. "He won't take my calls."

"I see." Mr. Benson crossed the room and took a seat beside Rita on the couch. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Tyler planned to take me to dinner," Rita said. "He wasn't thrilled when he learned Jack and his team would be accompanying us. He told Jack his services wouldn't be required for the evening, that he could look after my safety."

"I take it Jack set him straight and things went downhill from there," Mr. Benson said.

Rita nodded, grimacing. "Jack told Tyler that he doesn't have the training that he does and that one wrong move could spell disaster for me."

"It's true," Mr. Benson agreed.

"Tyler didn't like that," Rita said. "He became angry. He said and I quote, 'Are you saying I'm not capable of protecting my own fiancée'."

"He's not," Mr. Benson muttered.

Rita rubbed the nape of her neck. "Jack said that was exactly what he was saying, and until the killer was caught he would be sticking to me like glue. If Tyler had a problem with it then that was too bad."

Mr. Benson smiled. "Very good."

"I told both of them to calm down." Rita shoved a lock of hair behind her ear. "Then I told Tyler that whether or not he liked it you assigned Jack to protect me. I told Tyler that I needed Jack."

"And that bruised his ego," Mr. Benson guessed.

"Yes," Rita sighed. "He now thinks that I think he can't protect me. He thinks I don't have any confidence in him. He left here angry and hurt."

"Give him time to lick his wounds," Mr. Benson said. "He'll come around when he's ready to talk." He tapped her knee. "Do you believe he could protect you, should the need arise?"

"I believe he would try," Rita answered.

"But you don't believe he could," Mr. Benson said.

Rita glanced at her engagement ring. "No, I don't. What kind of fiancée does that make me? I don't believe the man I'm going to marry could protect me."

"It's best that you realize this now, before you marry him." Mr. Benson reached for her hand, giving it a tender squeeze. "Do you still want to marry him?"

Before Rita could answer the question Jack entered the living room. He stopped in his tracks, once he saw Mr. Benson with Rita.

"Am I interrupting?" he inquired.

"No," Mr. Benson responded. "Do you need something?"

"I wanted to let you know that Officer Peterson called me," Jack said. "He has some information to share with us. He's going to be stopping by around eight."

Mr. Benson checked his watch. "That gives me time to make a few phone calls and answer some emails." He kissed Rita on the temple and then left the room.

"What does Officer Peterson have to tell us?" Rita queried.

"I don't know," Jack said. "He didn't say."

"How was your afternoon?" Rita asked, changing the topic of conversation.

"It was good." Jack settled on the other end of the couch. "I spent time with my sister and niece."

"Tell me a little bit about them, please," Rita said.

"My sister, Jenny, is three years younger than I am," Jack said. "She makes jewelry from home and sells it to online shops. She and her husband have been married for five years. My niece's name is Madison, but we call her Madi. She turned four a few months ago."

"Do you have any pictures?" Rita asked.

Jack removed his phone from his pocket, unlocked it, and brought up a picture of Jenny and Madi. He handed the phone to Rita.

Rita studied the picture, a smile slowly gracing her lips. "You have a lovely family, Jack."

"Thank you," he said.

Rita handed him back his phone.

"Thank you for stopping by, Officer Peterson," Rita said. "Would you care for something to drink?"

"No, thank you," he replied.

"Then, please, sit down," she said, gesturing to one of the wingback chairs. "I'm sure my father and Mr. Keller heard the doorbell and know you have arrived. They should be joining us any minute."

"How are you, Miss. Benson?" he inquired, taking a seat.

"I'm doing all right," Rita responded. "Thank you for asking."

Mr. Benson and Jack entered the living room. They exchanged greetings with the officer and then sat down, Jack in the other wingback chair and Mr. Benson on the couch with Rita.

"You have our attention, Officer," Mr. Benson said.

"Thank you, sir." Peterson cleared his throat. "We've identified our Jane Doe. Her name is, or I should say was, Myra Woods."

"Can you tell us anything about her?" Rita inquired.

Peterson retrieved his notebook from the inside pocket of his jacket, opened it, and looked over his notes. "Our records showed that she was in her thirties, had no family, and was homeless. She worked as a-" He broke off, glancing at Rita with a grimace.

"Go ahead and say it," Jack said. "Miss Rita's no shrinking violet."

"She was a prostitute," Officer Peterson said.

"That poor soul," Rita muttered, a sad expression on her face. "I want her to have a proper burial. Please send her body to Smith & Baker's Funeral Home. Let them know that I will be covering the cost of her funeral."

"I will see to that first thing in the morning," Peterson said.

"Thank you," Rita said.

"Any news of Ms. Woods attacker?" Mr. Benson queried.

"We've had several anonymous calls regarding the composite sketch your daughter helped us with," the officer said. "We're investigating the information that was given to us. As soon as we have anything solid to go on, we will let you know." He shifted his attention to Rita. "I understand you received a call from the killer. Have you heard from him since then?"

"No," Rita answered.

"Should he contact her again, I will notify you," Jack said. "You will be kept informed of anything that happens. Just as you will keep me informed of anything that happens on your end. It's important that we work together, for Rita's sake."

Officer Peterson answered a few more questions and then took his leave.

"Well, that was a letdown," Mr. Benson said grimly.

"I don't see how it was a letdown." Rita cleared her throat. "We learned who the killer's victim was and she will be taken care of."

"Forgive me, dear, but I don't give a damn about that woman," Mr. Benson uttered, his eyes cold as ice. "My concern is for you, and we are no closer to learning who the killer is. You are still in his crosshairs."

Rita and Jack didn't say anything. There was nothing they could say. Mr. Benson was right.

A/N: Thank you for your support. I hope you enjoy the chapter. :)