2

"We leave in five," Jack said, glancing at his watch. He grabbed his plate and coffee cup and carried them to the sink. After rinsing them off under the water, he deposited them in the dishwasher.

"So, we're going to be protecting Miss Rita," Nathan said. "What's her story? Why does she need our help?"

"You'll find out at the meeting," Jack told him.

Nathan rubbed a hand over his face. At twenty-six, he was the youngest member of the team. He was average in height, sinewy, with blond hair and hazel eyes. "Well, it will be an honor to help protect her. She's a good person. She's done a lot to assist those in need."

"They don't call her St. Rita for nothing." Jonathan picked up his plate, pushed back his chair, and stood. He was twenty-nine, tall and muscular. Light brown hair brushed his collar. Eyes the color of moss shined behind a pair of glasses.

"She doesn't like to be called that," Sam said, his brown eyes lit with amusement. He shoved a hand through his reddish-blond hair and yawned. At twenty-seven, he was lean and athletic. "Why does the media call her that anyway?"

"Because of her charity work for the poor and for women," Jack said. "St. Rita is the patroness for abused women, impossible causes, and hopeless circumstances."

"How do you know that?" Nathan inquired.

"I looked it up." Jack glanced at his watch once more. "We better head out. You know Mr. Benson doesn't like to be kept waiting."

"Should I be a part of this meeting?" Sam inquired. "It's about Miss. Benson. I won't be protecting her since I'm Mr. Benson's bodyguard."

"You can sit in anyway," Jack said.

Jack and the team left the guest house and made their way through the backyard to the main house. Letting themselves inside, by way of the french doors, they paused in the kitchen when they heard Rita and Mr. Benson's voices raised in anger.

"I refuse to be a prisoner in this house," Rita snapped.

"I'm not trying to lock you away," Mr. Benson snapped back. "I'm just asking you to take a few days off. You need time to process what happened last night."

"I have people that depend on me," Rita informed him. "I have to put them first."

"You won't be any good to them if you have a nervous breakdown," he thundered.

A tense silence settled over the mansion.

"Should we come back?" Nathan whispered.

"No," Jack muttered. "Just act as though you didn't hear anything."

Sam snorted softly. "Easier said than done."

"Let's get this over with," Jonathan sighed.

Jack took a breath and led the way to the dining room. Mr. Benson and Rita were sitting at one end of the large table, glaring at each other. Jack cleared his throat to get their attention.

"Good, you're here," Mr. Benson said. "Take a seat."

"Hello, Miss Rita," Nathan said, pulling out a chair.

Rita gave him a weak smile. "Hello, Nathan." She said hello to the others. They returned the greeting as they sat down.

"Officer Peterson faxed me a copy of the composite sketch." Jack removed the sketch from the inside pocket of his suit jacket and passed it to Mr. Benson. "I emailed the sketch to Nathan and Jon. They have it on their phones."