3

"We have a new resident," Katie, the manager of the woman's shelter, said. "She arrived last night."

Rita adjusted the volume on her laptop and asked her friend, "Tell me about her."

"Her name is Tammy," Katie said. "Her husband of three years has been verbally and physically abusing her."

At that moment, Jack entered the room with a cup of Chamomile tea. He put the cup on the end table beside Rita's chair.

"Thank you," she muttered.

Jack nodded and then returned to his chair, grabbing his tablet from the end table next to him.

"What made Tammy decide to leave her husband?" Rita inquired.

"She's pregnant," Katie replied.

"How far along is she?" Rita asked, picking up the cup of tea.

"She doesn't know," Katie sighed. "She took one of those home pregnancy tests. She hasn't been to see a doctor yet."

"Does her husband know?"

"No," Katie said.

Rita took a sip of tea and said, "She will need to get checked out. It probably wouldn't be a good idea for her to see her gynecologist. It would be easy for her husband to find out about the pregnancy."

"That wouldn't be good," Katie said. "He told her if she ever became pregnant he would beat her until she miscarried. That's why she ran away when she learned she was expecting."

Rita glanced up, locking eyes with Jack. His brown eyes were dark with anger, and a muscle was twitching in his jaw. To say he was livid was an understatement. She lowered her gaze back to the screen.

"Then we need to do everything we can to make sure he doesn't learn the truth," Rita told her. "I'll give Dr. Barker a call and see if she can fit Tammy in."

"I'll call her," Katie volunteered.

"All right." Rita took another sip of tea and set down the cup. "Do the ladies or the children need anything?"

"I'm glad you asked me that because the water heater was on the fritz again," Katie said. "I had Mike out yesterday to look at it. He repaired the problem, but he said it's only a temporary fix. We need a new water heater."

"Tell Mike to install a new one," Rita said. "Have him send me the bill."

"I'll do that." Katie smiled. "Thank you, Rita."

"You're welcome," she said. "Anything else?"

"Billy reminded me today that his birthday is coming up," Katie said.

"Did he now?" Rita said, smiling. "And did he happen to mention what he wanted for his birthday?"

"He wants a pair of walkie talkies," Katie responded.

"I think I can manage that."

"I'm sure you can," Katie said. "I want to check on Tammy, so I'm going to let you go."

"Call me if you need anything," Rita said. "I'll talk to you soon."

"Talk to you soon."

Rita ended the video chat and closed the laptop.

"I can help you pick out a pair of walkie talkies," Jack said.

"I'd appreciate that." Rita leaned forward and placed the laptop on the ottoman. "I imagine in your line of work you know your way around a walkie talkie."