Fears in the Dark

Start from the beginning

Tears were now springing from her eyes.

I was about to open my mouth and step forward to utter my opinion when Art beat me to it.

"Fine," Art said, grumbling as he stepped forward to grab Eos' hand. "We'll be right back. Wait for us here."

"Uncle!" Caiden exclaimed when a smile spread on Eos' flustered face.

"She's coming with us, Atlas, and that's final. Wait for us here."

Then they disappeared, leaving behind a strong wave of wind we all had to shield our eyes from.

"Cursed blood!" Caiden hissed, throwing his fist against the cave wall so hard blue blood trickled down his bruised knuckles.

"Caiden," I said, carefully stepping closer to him to lay my hand on his shoulder. "Maybe it's best—"

"What is he thinking? She's sixteen. She just received her powers last year. It's too dangerous."

Clenching my teeth, I grabbed Caiden's cheeks to force him to look at me.

"Your sister is not weak, Caiden," I said as his startled eyes shifted between mine. "She has been alone all these years, fighting hard for you all to see her. She is not weak, and she will not be a liability. Please see that."

"Will," he whispered, bringing his hands to grab my shoulders. "I never meant for her to—"

"I know," I said, sniffling to keep the tears at bay. "You've had a lot on your plate as Heliac's crown prince, and I doubt Eos blames you, but that doesn't change the fact that she is scared — not about the world outside the castle walls, but to be alone again."

Caiden's hands moved to my face, his thumb gently stroking my heated cheeks. Then he sighed. "Okay," he said. "I trust you."

I smiled, satisfied with his words moments before Art and Eos appeared in the cave again, Art carrying Eos' bag over his shoulder with a tired expression on his face.

Eos had changed her clothes, and instead of her beautiful dress, she wore a dull pair of pants and a thick shirt hidden behind a hooded cloak.

"Teenagers," Art grumbled when he dropped the bag next to the others.

Eos was muttering some unrecognizable words with her arms crossed and brows lowered.

"What happened?" I asked, letting go of Caiden to join the others by the secret exit.

"Uncle Arthur wouldn't let me bring what I needed," Eos muttered, her shoulders raised to her ears.

I crooked my brow. Her bag was already packed to the brim. What more could she possibly need?

"Makeup is not a necessity, Eos," Art said before Eos could answer my questioning expression.

Eos rolled her eyes. "I'm a woman in development. I have yet to find my identity, and makeup is part of that step."

Alia sighed deeply, rubbing the bridge of her nose.

Perhaps it wasn't the greatest idea to bring Eos along after all...

"Listen, Eos," Art said, fastening his cloak around his neck. "I have only allowed you to come with us because I believe you could benefit from this experience, but I need you to follow directions. Otherwise, I will have to leave you with the nearest family I trust."

I swallowed silently. Art wasn't messing around, and Eos knew that based on her stiffened posture and empty stare.

"Y-yes, Uncle. Sorry," she said, clenching the edge of her cloak.