Chapter-14 ❀ Stay By My Side ❀

Start from the beginning

It felt like out of the fan and straight into the fire, she thought to herself.

Aisha shifted her gaze to Abhirudra beside her. He sat a bit away, one arm placed on folded knees, palm hanging in the air, while the other leg stretched out. His sleeves were rolled up, and his wet coat lay beside him.

His wet white shirt clung to his muscular body, the top three buttons open, revealing his well-toned physique. Aisha intensely observed him, focusing on his face, from his forehead bangs to his lips.

"Why am I looking at him like that?" Aisha wondered, but before she could shift her gaze, Abhirudra looked her way, and their eyes met. Swift as lightning, Aisha looked away, pretending she wasn't staring. Abhirudra shook his head, aware that she had been watching him, enjoying her intense gaze.

Suddenly, a thought crossed his mind, and he looked at her with a serious face, though deep down, he was in a teasing mood. When they emerged from the river, he checked on her well-being but then couldn't help glancing at her. Her yellow kurti clung to her slender frame, and her white bra was visible. Wet hair stuck to her back and shoulders, her face shining under the sun's warm rays. However, he quickly averted his gaze, feeling it was too much for the moment.

Aisha acted like she wasn't looking at him, keeping her gaze on the opposite side. After a while, she cautiously glanced his way, but her eyes widened, and she quickly looked away when she caught him shamelessly staring back. He didn't care if she knew he was watching, displaying a confidence that puzzled her.

"Where did he find the nerve to stare so shamelessly?" she whispered to herself.

Regretting checking him out, she hoped he hadn't noticed, fearing the consequences if he did. She continued looking away, unaware of the small smile on his face. He shook his head at her playful behavior and turned his gaze elsewhere. Both sat in silence as the bright sun beamed, its rays piercing through the dense forest. The intense sunlight dried their clothes and hair after spending nearly 30-40 minutes there.

Aisha gazed at the sky, estimating it to be around 4 pm, but they had no idea about their location. She turned to Abhirudra with a serious expression, finding him sitting calmly with closed eyes and a slightly lowered head. Silently, she admired his handsome face.

"What?" Abhirudra suddenly asked without opening his eyes.

Aisha gasped, surprised he knew she was looking at him. Clearing her voice, she inquired,"What's our next move?"

Teasingly, Abhirudra responded, "What do you want to do?”

Aisha, clearly irritated by the teasing tone, rolled her eyes and replied, "Do you have any plan to get out of this forest? How are we going to leave?”

Abhirudra didn't respond and rose from his spot, adjusting the coat in his left arm. Aisha frowned and also stood up, watching Abhirudra with puzzled eyes.

He headed towards the narrow path, saying, “Let's get out of here first."

“Do you know the way out of this forest?" Aisha asked loudly from where she stood, hesitant to move forward.

Abhirudra didn't stop or turn around, responding plainly, “No.”

"What do you mean, no? It's not funny, okay? How are we supposed to leave, and where are you going?" She bombarded him with questions, walking behind him to catch up with his pace.

He continued walking, not turning around, and said, “Just be quiet and follow me. This path might lead us out."

"Maybe? How can you be sure about this path?" She questioned, facing him while her back was toward the path they were on.