All Wrapped Up

"All right, Wyvern," Zander said, sauntering into the living room where Nick and Wyvern were reading to each other by the fireplace. "I'm dying to know what Nick gave you for Christmas."

"Oh. Right..." Wyvern glanced toward the decorated tree, seeing the wrapped gift still sitting beneath it. "I forgot."

"You forgot?" Zander crossed his arms, giving his friend an incredulous look. "How do you 'forget' about a gift?"

Wyvern smiled at Nick, savoring the beautiful flush of color that rose high on his cheeks. "When there are more important things to think about."

"Oh, cripes..." Zander rolled his eyes. "The two of you... I swear. So emotional."

"At least we know how to have an emotion," Nick retorted, challenging his partner with a glare.

Huffing a laugh, Wyvern bumped his fist against Nick's in solidarity. "What'd he give you, Mr. Pennington?"

Zander joined them on the floor, pulling something out of his pocket with a toothy grin. "This gorgeous watch. I don't know how he knew I needed a new one, but... Look!" He held out the beautiful piece in his palm. "I don't have to wind it." He smiled fondly at Nick. "I'm gonna wear it every day."

Nick blushed and ducked his head. "It's just a watch, Zan."

Wyvern took it from Zander and studied it, turning it over to admire the details. "It's stunning, Nick. Did you have the case made for you?" He rubbed his thumb over the carved design of the cover.

"No." Nick shook his head. "It was something I found at the antique store. I thought it was pretty but it was hopelessly broken. So I cleaned it up, repurposed the case, and rebuilt the innards."

Flicking the cover open, Wyvern gasped softly at the delicate intricacy of the visible workings and parts inside. He could see the movement of every tiny gear beneath the polished brass watch hands. It was a work of art. "Oh, Nick... It's beautiful. I love how you kept the mechanics exposed under the glass. It's so unique." With a smile, he handed the watch back to the foreman. "And very Zander."

Nick bit his lip on a grin. "I thought so too."

"He also gave me a counting machine, to help with my bookkeeping." Zander smiled widely at his partner.

"That sounds rather useful indeed." Wyvern grinned at his best friend. "Very thoughtful, Nick."

"Thanks."

"And this thing..." Zander pulled out a small tangle of wire from his pocket, frowning at it. "Not sure what to do with it."

Nick rolled his eyes. "I told you, love..."

Wyvern plucked it out of Zander's hand. "It's a puzzle." Manipulating the rigid metal pieces, he twisted them around and maneuvered them until he could pull them apart. "See?" He held up a piece in each hand.

Zander lunged forward, his hazel eyes wide. "How did you do that? I've been fiddling with the thing for hours!"

"It's not hard, Zan." Wyvern deftly tangled the parts back together and handed it back over with a shrug. "You just have to think about how the pieces fit together."

Scowling at the puzzle, Zander pulled on the pieces and twisted them around for a minute before giving up with an exasperated huff. Then he tossed it back at Wyvern. "Here. Merry Christmas."

Wyvern chuckled and quickly solved the puzzle again, waving the separate parts in front of Zander with a smug smile. "Thanks." He twisted the toy back together again.

"Too smart for me..." Zander glared at both Nick and Wyvern.

"Oh, stop pouting." Wyvern rolled his eyes. "I used to play with puzzles like that when I studied in school. Helped me think."