'Tis the Season

Nick walked up to the tavern's private entrance door and knocked. It was well past dawn a few days after Nick and Zander's snowy escapades and the tavern wasn't yet open for the day. Someone peeked through the curtains drawn over the small window in the door and then Nick heard the lock click open.

Nick smiled. "Hey, Silas."

Silas gave Nick a friendly smile and held the door open for him. "Hiya, Nick. What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering if Wyvern was in and if I could see him?"

"Well, he does live here, and I haven't seen him about this morning, so I imagine that he's up in his rooms." Silas ushered Nick through his office and out into the empty dining room. "You know, I've been wanting to get a private entrance built for Wyvern, but every time I bring it up to him, he shoots down the suggestion. I think he likes the seclusion, actually. It is a bit awkward for his guests, though." Silas stopped at the bottom of the staircase. "Go on, then."

"Thanks." Nick went up the stairs, past several nicely furnished rooms, and down to the end of the long hallway. He wondered why his friend wouldn't want his own entrance but knew he must have his reasons. Maybe he just wanted his privacy, like Silas said. Wyvern's door was closed, as it usually was, but Nick could see light filtering through the crack beneath it, so he knocked.

The soft clank of a chain lock opening sounded on the other side of the door, followed by the rasp of the sticky deadbolt. As soon as Wyvern saw who was visiting him, he swept the door wide and grinned in welcome. "Nick! What a fantastic way to start my day! Please, come in!"

Nick went inside and began removing his warm things. Wyvern's suite was quite warm and cozy, and Nick was beginning to sweat beneath his multiple layers.

"On a chair is fine," Wyvern said in answer to Nick's silent question of where to put his winter gear. Once Nick had put his stuff down, he slid Newt out from his pocket and set the bot on the table to stretch. Wyvern smiled. "Good to see you too, Newtling."

Newt gave Wyvern a happy purring sound.

"Coffee?" Wyvern asked, going over to his tiny kitchenette where a steaming pot of freshly brewed coffee was waiting.

Nick nodded. "Yes, please."

"How do you take it?"

"White, with enough sugar to give me cavities."

Wyvern laughed. "Light and sweet. Exactly how I like it too." He stirred up two mugs and brought them over to the sofa in the sitting area.

Nick settled into the plush cushions, accepted his coffee from Wyvern, and took a long sip of the hot liquid, smiling and closing his eyes as it warmed him all the way down to his stomach. "Mmm... Good stuff."

"Only the best, of course." Wyvern situated himself next to Nick, their sides pressed together.

Nick smiled down into his coffee. Wyvern was an incorrigible flirt, and he'd always been overtly affectionate with Nick. It irritated Zander when Wyvern was exceptionally demonstrative in his presence, but all three of them knew that it was harmless. Wyvern was a friend, and nothing more. Nick still tried to keep it all low-key, though. He didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Wyvern, however, never missed an opportunity to take advantage of Nick's attention. He brushed a light, careless caress over Nick's knee. "Did you come for breakfast? I have some delectable little pastries from the bakery that we could share."

"I already ate, but thanks. I actually just came to talk."

Snatching up Nick's unoccupied hand, Wyvern lifted Nick's knuckles to his mouth, smiled against them, and then brushed his lips over them. "Then talk, handsome. I've got time."