Chapter 6: Second Impression

Ever since rescuing the masked stranger, he were to never be seen again. Occasionally, however, he would roam your mind, curious about who he was. Even when you began work again, that mask never left your mind and the question regarding to why he wears it.
    The current weather seems balmy due to the sun being out, all while snow continued to gather and pile on grounds. Kids were seen throwing snowballs at each other or building snowmen, reminding you of when you lived those good ol' days as a child.
Unexpectedly, while focusing on your task, the four familiar teenagers walked in, all happy to see you behind the counter again. Jake and Fresh were mainly the ones playfully pushing each other behind the other to get to you first as the two others followed.
    Jake, the one who got to you first, then asked, "You're finally working again?"
Fresh was next and stood next to Jake before Tricky and then Yutani.
    "I sure am," you responded just as glad and relieved. All four blissfully cheered for your return back on the job, making you chuckle. Afterwards, you asked, "What are you all doing here anyways? Came to eat or visit your cool waitress?"
    Jake playfully scoffed waving a hand. "Of course we came to visit you!
    His three friends that surrounded him stared either confused or while holding their snickers knowing full well that isn't the only reason. Throughout their walk to Skate Heaven, his topics revolved around what food he should eat. You smiled, chuckling at his horrible lie and playfully punched his shoulder.
    "Right, well I am glad you all decided to come by," you said. "Take your booth with Jake if y'all are just as hungry."
Yutani shrugged. "Eh, some food wouldn't hurt."
    Everyone else agreed.
    Smiling, you took out your notebook and pen before taking everyone's orders. After the food arrived, all four thanked you. "Of course!" you enthusiastically responded.
    Your eyes took a quick glance through the window to the outside, showcasing the snowy ground beneath the also snow-covered stairs. But your eyes overlooked something—or someone—familiar, which made you squint at the faraway figure just walking behind the fence. What made the person catch your attention was some rabbit-looking ears connected to a mask.
Then, you were hit with the flashbacks to the man whom you have seen on the green bench reading the newspaper and another encounter with him at Ted's Subway yard.
Jake, as he ate his sandwich, was the first one to notice your distant look, making him turn towards whatever you're staring at outside, only to be confused when nothing interesting was there.
He waved a hand in front of your face, turning the heads of his peers.
"Helloo, Earth to (Y/N)."
This technique was successful as you blinked and slightly shook your head. "Oh yeah, sorry," you sheepishly said.
    "I mean—it's fine," said Jake. "But are you okay?"
    Secretly, you were able to take a glance outside again for the man and to your surprise, he disappeared. With a smile, you said, "Yeah, I'm great, of course. You four enjoy your food, alright?"
    Everyone took the bait, but Jake gave you the benefit of the doubt before continuing to take a bite into his sandwich.
    You went behind the counter, taking a rag from your apron, and wiping it down since the Subway Surfers were the only current customers in the diner. While you did so, you took another peek outside. Unexpectedly, the masked man came back, which startled you. From what you can tell, he remains on the spot he's standing on, facing towards the diner. This creeped you out, but also made you curious, so you stopped wiping and walked around the counter towards the door.
    "Guys, I'll be right back," you called out to the quartet. They didn't bat an eye, but only acknowledged that they heard you and continued their conversation.
    Walking out the diner, your focus pin-pointed the man, who still stood facing you. And even while you gone down the stairs, you didn't take a second off his gaze. Arriving pass the fence and close to the man seen holding a donut box, you kindly smiled and spoke first.
    "Hey, I remember you. I saved you from the snow, right?"
    Hoping that he would talk for the first time ever since meeting, you were quite disappointed that he wouldn't speak up, but nod his head instead. He admittedly felt embarrassed from being remembered by in most vulnerable state he was in.
When you were about to ask about his well-being, you were caught off guard when the man pulled out something from behind his back. A donut box you know came from the popular bakery nearby your home. Attached to the side facing you is a hand-written note.
    You switched looks between the box and the man, speechless with a slight agape mouth. He gestured the box forward, ushering you to take it and you immediately took it. Considering reading the note, you pulled it from the tape and stared at him for confirmation to read it. He didn't give any signs of resistance, so you read it aloud.

Dear (Y/N),

That day you've saved me from dying, the way I acted was rude and unprofessional afterwards. Especially with your friendliness and generosity of buying me a hot chocolate and I apologise for that. The impression I gave wasn't deserving of your treatment, but hopefully, I could make up for it, even if it's just a portion, by properly being acquainted.

I hope you like donuts.

Sincerely,
Frank

    You smiled looking up towards who you now know to call Frank.
    "I'm surprised you remember my name. I might've thought you didn't care enough to. But it's nice to finally be acquainted with you, Frank!"
    Reaching a hand out, Frank shook it with a nod.
    "I really appreciate the gift. Thank you so much."
    Letting go hands, he nodded again in response.
    "Well," you said, "I think I should get going now. See you sometime?"
    Frank nodded, as usual, and the two of you separated after trading each other your farewells.
    While you headed back, you looked through the built-in window on the box, seeing as the donuts seem to be regular, plain, sugar-coated donuts.
Returning inside the diner, Jake noticed the box you were carrying.
"Hey, (Y/N)? What's that?" Everyone turn their heads to you from his question, curious about the same thing and watched you place it down on the counter.
"Oh, just donuts. Gifted from a friend," you vaguely replied.
    And before Jake could ask for some, you were far ahead of him and said, "And no, you cannot have one," with a knowing smile. Jake fell in disappointment and scoffed.
    "Besides, it'll be rude to give people what was gifted specifically for you, no?"
    "Guess so," said Jake, keeping his sarcasm.
    You only snickered and continued wiping down the counter.