Twenty-Four

[Zagros Mountains, Iraq.
Friday, May 31, 2003.]

𝚃𝙰𝚁𝙶𝙴𝚃 𝙻𝚉
𝟶𝟻:𝟻𝟸 𝙷𝚁𝚂
𝙳𝙴𝙿𝚃𝙷: 𝟶 𝙵𝚃.

The burning sensation crawling all over Y/n L/n's body whilst hot air invaded her lungs proved itself too much to bare as Rachel King lifted a hand to pull herself out from the depths of the cave. Buzzards and vultures soared, circling high above in the sky.

Rachel was the first to lurch herself into earth who was followed by Nick Kay but he stopped to turn around, assisting Jason Kolchek. Eric King, Salim Othman, Nathan Merwin, and Y/n were the last ones but it took the h/c-haired girl a few moments to pull herself out from the hole.

"We made it!" The CIA Field Officer smirked as she faced the sun, relaxing in its beams of light while Nick collapsed to the ground to sprawl out. "Soak up those rays, guys. Soak it all up!" Rachel continued just in time for Jason and Y/n to copy the sergeant's actions.

Salim, who was bent over in an attempt to catch his breath, stood upright once more to meet Eric's gaze. The two spare one another a respective smile.

"You still with me, y'all?" Jason said to the small gathering on the ground as he patted Nick's leg to get his attention. Y/n nodded her head, Merwin groaned out a reply, and Nick simply raised a hand to give the lieutenant a thumbs up. "We've got four alive, very fuckin' ready to go marines here." The Southern man spoke for the group.

"Dropkick to Coyote Two. Radio check. Over." Eric radioed in.

"This is Rhino One-Five. Solid copy. We're five minutes from your position," the pilot responded. "Where the hell have you guys been? Over." He asked rhetorically.

"We got back up again. We beat the enemy." Eric said matter-of-factly. "I sure forgot how bright it is out here." Rachel grimaced and proceeded to raise a hand to shield her eyes from the burning sunlight.

"Think those shepherds are still around here? I could use a cold one." Jason stood to his feet and lent a helping hand to assist Y/n up. The exhausted Merwin and Nick got up on their own. "Hey, Y/n," he spoke up to which the woman hummed in response, looking at him in an oblivious state. "Maybe when this is all over..." he trailed off but, before Jason could finish his sentence, he was cut off short by Salim.

"I must return home to my boy," the Iraqi stated before cracking a toothy grin. "He must be worried about me."

Just then, a shadowy figure started to cover the sun. With furrowed brows, everyone directed their attention toward the perfect ball of hot plasma to find that some sort of solar eclipse was happening. Something is wrong. This strange phenomenon caused Y/n to shiver as it almost cast complete darkness over the land.

"No... not again." Rachel chewed on her lip and watched as when the eclipse was at its peak, they all noticed a vampire — with many holes scattered in its wings — soaring out from the whole they just escaped from, much to their fright. It then lands on the ground near the survivors and screeches at them. Enraged and fueled with hatred. During its scream, more vampires rise from the underground. "Inside! Get inside, now!" Rachel demanded the others but they are already one step ahead. "If we stay out here, we die!" She finished feeding into their anxieties.

After successfully retreating and entering the nearest hut of the farm, everyone gathers in the biggest room as the vampires swarm them. "Shore up the defences! Lock this place up tight!" Rachel barks out orders while tables, chairs, and other items are moved to seal the entranceway and open windows. "How long until the damn eclipse passes?" She further questions as soon as the remaining survivors move to create a makeshift circle, watching and protecting each other's sixes.