Chapter 21

For some reason, I was not as eager to go downstairs the next morning. When I looked at the clock on my desk, I realized it was almost nine o'clock. I set the book I was trying to read on the bed, sat up, stretched, and looked out the window. It was a calm morning. The sun was shining, and there was not a cloud in the sky. Although I didn't see anyone, I was sure someone was looking for me. I had to do something. But what? I sat in my chair for a few minutes. I needed to call Frank.

After I hung up with him, I jumped in the shower, and headed down to the driveway. I wanted to talk to him before anyone else had a chance to see me.

I leaned against the trunk of a maple tree and waited patiently for his truck.

Frank stopped the moment he saw me. "Good morning, young lady."

"Good morning, Frank. Thank you for coming today. May I get in?"

Frank put the truck in park. "Here, let me get that door for you."

"I'm fine." I opened the passenger door and climbed in before he had a chance to open his door.

"Where are we going?" he asked and put the truck in gear.

"Can you drive the truck on the grass and park down by the pond?"

"I can. Is there a problem?"

"No, not at all. I need to ask you something. Frank, I'm thinking about building a small cottage for myself, in the woods down by the pond. I love the inn, but sometimes I like to be alone for a few hours."

"I hear ya. I like to go out into my workshop and be alone for a while myself. You know, young lady, it seems everything you touch turns to gold."

"Thank you, that is so nice of you to say." I wished it were true for my marriage.

"You're welcome, and very deserving. When do you want me to get started on this little cottage?"

"Tomorrow?" I jokingly replied.

"For you, tomorrow will be just fine."

"Frank, am I your only client?"

"No." Frank gently touched the side of my face. "You're my favorite client."

I gave Frank a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you so much for making the time for my projects."

Five days later, I went into town and checked back into Sal's bed and breakfast. Except this time, I never left my room. I thought the peace and quiet of being alone for three days would do me some good, but I actually missed the inn and my staff.

I missed Kourtnee's smile. How Molly always made me laugh.