[ 043 ] the obliged.

DAMNATION.

chapter forty-three, the obliged.
[ season nine, episode four and five ]

BENCHED. SHE'S BENCHED INSIDE the one place she doesn't want to be. But it's the one place she needs to be.

Alexandria.

A radio rests on her stomach. She stares up at her ceiling. A book rests beside her. Frankenstein. Whenever she needs encouragement, she looks at the quote she's written inside.

There's nothing but time in this world.

She misses Dale. Everyday, she misses him. Sometimes, she knows it's for the best that he never made it off of the farm. Dale was fragile. He was good. He wanted the group to be good. He wanted to keep Randall alive despite the group he came from. He had so much faith in the group and then at the end... there was nothing he could've done.

If only Dale could see them now...

If only he knows what Odessa is about to do.

"Alexandria Relay One, this is Rick Grimes. Come in, please." Rick's voice suddenly says over the radio.

Odessa listens as Rachel responds. "Go for AR One."

"AR One, I need you to get an urgent message to Alexandria— if Maggie Rhee shows up at the gate, delay her at the gate and alert Michonne right away. Do no— repeat— do not let her in without an escort. And do no let my daughter out of our house. Over." Rick says.

"Copy that, Rick. Will relay your message right now. Over." Rachel responds.

"Maggie, Odessa, if you're listening... let's talk." Rick says over the radio.

She lifts her radio to her lips. "We stopped talkin' a long time ago, Dad."

She stands and grits her teeth. Pain shoots up her leg. She limps out of her room and down the stairs. When she walks out, Michonne, Judith, and Brielle are all sitting around a table.

"Hey," Michonne says. "Where you goin'?"

"Infirmary," Odessa responds. "Figured since I got nothin' better to do, I could go sit in and let Siddiq teach me some more stuff, you know?"

"Yeah," Michonne smiles softly at her daughter. "I'm proud of the woman you've become, Dessa." She stands and brings her daughter in for a tight hug. Odessa hugs back, she squeezes her eye shut.

This'll be the last time she ever hears those words from her mother. Odessa kisses Judith on the top of the head. She kisses Brielle on the top of hers. Then she turns and she walks down the steps. She walks to the gate and she pushes it open.

And so she waits for Maggie Rhee to arrive.

Back at the house, Theo sits outside a cell. He glares daggers at Negan.

Negan stares right back at him.

"This bullshit hunger strike ends today," Theo tilts his head. "And if you got a problem, then you won't get any food until you're beggin' for it."