[ 037 ] my mercy... m̶y̶ m̶e̶r̶c̶y̶?

DAMNATION.

chapter thirty-seven, my mercy... m̶y̶ m̶e̶r̶c̶y̶?
[ season eight, episode sixteen ]

"ODESSA?" SAYS A VOICE. Odessa turns face the child. "Are people gonna die today?"

Odessa reaches out and brushes Brielle's hair away from her face. "People die everyday, Elle."

"Are you gonna die today?" Brielle questions the girl. "I don't want you to die."

"Look at me," Odessa gently grabs the little girl's face. "I'm not gonna die. Not anytime soon, 'kay? Someone's gotta take care of you."

Brielle smiles. "Daryl would take care of me."

"Daryl ate a worm once and now you're obsessed with him," Odessa laughs.

The sound of a grunt fills her ears. She turns her head to see Henry, who they did eventually find, on the ground with Morgan standing over him, pointing his stuck directly at him. Odessa eyes widen and her heart starts to beat a little faster. "Stay here, Brielle."

Before anyone can do anything, Odessa is cautiously approaching Morgan. When she reaches him, she gently grabs his arm. Carol comes up behind her protectively. Morgan looks over at the girl. "They were, uh—" he says as Carol takes his stick. "They were gone— him. They were comin' in."

Odessa helps Henry off the ground and pushes him behind her protectively. She doesn't dare take her eyes off of Morgan.

"I asked Maggie if we could clear the walkers off the wall. We... drew 'em away so we wouldn't have to worry about 'em when we rolled out." Alden explains.

"He did," Maggie tells Morgan.

An awkward silence passes over everyone. Then Rick steps up. "Let's keep gettin' ready, everyone. First team's goin' in twenty."

"Come on," Odessa mumbles to Henry. He turns and walks beside her. She glances down at him. "Are you alright?"

Henry shrugs. "Yeah," he says.

"You sure?" Odessa raises her eyebrows.

"That was scary," Henry admits. "Morgan is... I think Morgan's sick."

"Yeah," Odessa glances over her shoulder at where Morgan and her father speak. "I think he is too."

Henry heads towards Barrington House as Odessa rejoins Brielle at the picnic table. "You'll be safe here." Odessa tells her just as she did two days before. "I promise."

"I know," Brielle shakes her head. "I trust you."

Odessa smiles weakly at the girl. She leans down and kisses the girl's forehead. "It's almost time for us to leave."

"Be safe," Brielle tells the girl.

After several heartfelt goodbyes with Judith and Brielle, Odessa is ready to leave the Hilltop for what could be final time.

The first group leaving consists of Odessa, Rick, Michonne, Theo, Carol, Ezekiel, Rosita, Jesus, Morgan, Jerry, and Daryl.

As soon as they step foot outside the gates of the Hilltop, their third lives begin.