Pieces

Asking how Mat died is too much of a story for a board with letters to answer.

She figured out Mat's name from me. I can send her word clues again. She seems smart enough to piece things together.

Violet shut her eyes in concentration. Probably clear out her brain from anything but me. "Nine? He must have been nine years old when he died!"

She was a lot slower at this than Mat. She really did not have the gift he did, but she got a few words. Not as many as Mat would have gotten.

Violet grabbed a pencil and paper. She wrote down every word she got from me, saying everything out loud knowing I am here.

"Nine has to mean he is nine years old." She scribbled it below the word. "Okay, next. Glass. Let's get back to that one. Windex. He was cleaning glass? With Windex? Last word is sister. His sister is Stella. She is the only one. Now let's see. Stella... was cleaning a window... then sprayed windex at Mat who was nine and this... killed him? No. Stella made him mad, so he threw a Windex bottle at glass, and it cut him... and then he died?"

Literally all she is figuring out is he was nine years old. This is not her strong suit.

"Maybe," she went on, "Stella... gave him a glass of water, but Windex was in it- no. That's intentional murder. She wouldn't do that. Maybe he drank a bottle of Windex because he thought he could clean glass by spitting it at windows- no. He was nine, not six," she kept going.

She will not get it.

"This isn't working. Ghost, am I right that he was nine first of all?"

She goes back to the ouija board. 'Yes'.

"So, did he accidentally drink Windex?"

'No'

"Oh, he didn't drink Windex?"

'Drank'

"Wait, he did drink it. You just told me he didn't."

'Did'

Violet writes it down. "He was nine and drank Windex. Now, was it in a drinking glass?"

'Yes'

"So technically poison. Why couldn't you just say that on the ouija board?"

'Half'

"Poison was half of it. Was the second half murder?"

'No'

Violet looked surprised at this. "Even if Stella accidentally killed him, it is still considered murder."

'No'

"He was not murdered, but it couldn't have been a stroke or something if half of it was poison. What am I missing?"

'Purpose'

Author's Note: ON THAT NOTE! Have a good day/night/whenever you are reading this.