20

I can hardly taste my breakfast in my mouth as I replay last night's reunion in my head over and over again. I'll make myself worthy of you... I'll make this right. It feels like he's here with me, whispering those promised words into my ear with such an intensity that causes the hairs on my neck to stand.

"You good, kiddo?"

I look up from my omelet and meet Alaric's gaze with an unsure shrug. I couldn't be happier. Somebody who I cared deeply for is back in my life and yet... I'm worried. There's this sick churning feeling in my gut that's screaming that something bad is bound to happen.

"Yes and no," I answer, lifting another forkful of my food to my mouth.

The front door opening diverts our attention. A sweaty Elena, back from her morning run, comes barreling through the kitchen.

"Mornin'," she greets cheerily, albeit a bit breathless.

"Good morning," both Alaric and I say in return.

She grabs a glass cup from the cupboard before pitching a spot next to me at the dining table. She grabs the cold-water jug set in the middle of the table and starts to fill up her cup.

"I'm surprised you're up this early," she says with a quirked brow.

"Mm," I mumble. I twirl the fork in my hand absentmindedly. "I didn't sleep too well."

Her brows furrow as she takes a long sip from her drink. "Did something happen?"

"You could say that."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

Talk about Elijah? I didn't even know where to begin with him... or how to explain it. I didn't even know what we are to each other. Friends? That's what we had decided on the night of the dinner party, but that was before I had found out the truth to what was happening around me. To what had been happening to me. And then he got staked. We hadn't really had the chance to talk about us, especially after he abruptly left last night.

A shaky breath leaves my lips before I reply. "Maybe later. I- my mind is just scattered right now."

Her hand falls to my shoulder and she gives it a tight squeeze. "Well, you know I'm always here if you need to talk."

"I know," I whisper. I tilt my head to the side and meet her gaze with a small grateful smile. "Thank you."

"Oh, by the way," Alaric says from the counter. "Just as a heads up... Jen has a work function tonight so she won't be back until late. You're all going to have to sort out your own dinner."

I nod my head slowly. "Ah, I remember her saying something about that a few days a-" The doorbell rings, and I curiously glance between them. "Not expecting anyone are we?"

Elena's hand slides off my shoulder and she sends Alaric a questioning glance. "No... er, Ric?"

"Nope. I'll go check."

Elena perks up from beside me. "I'll come with you."

It's a few minutes later when they finally do return. I had finished my meal within that timeframe, so I'm by the sink washing my plate with warm soapy water.

"Who was it?" I ask curiously.

"Sheriff Forbes," Alaric replies.

I place the wet plate to the side and grab the dry cloth. I pat my hands dry, an evident frown on my face as I spin around.

"Why was she at our door?"

"Well," Elena begins. "The medical examiner, Brian Walters, was murdered the night of the Wickery Bridge Fundraiser. One of our stakes was used... and it has my fingerprints on it."