𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚄𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚜

-----------------

"That's alright, let it out, talk to me."

- Talk To Me, Cavetown

-----------------

After walking for some time, Varian and you - well, more like just you - decided to set camp for the night. It had been a few days since you were last in Corona, and it felt refreshing to see something other than the same old buildings, no matter how pretty they might've been.

So far, you hadn't encountered anything on your journey. The peacefulness kind of put you on edge.

Everything seemed a little bit too perfect.

It had already gotten dark out, and the icy wind rushed past you, sending a small chill down your spine.

You weren't really freezing though.

And you didn't feel tired at all, so you sat, leaned onto a near tree, staring up at the ink-black night sky.

You didn't know why, but the stars had always provided you comfort, even in your darkest moments.

They were there, they were glowing, they were peaceful. Combined with the chilly air and the silence, it made for a great consolation after the events that had taken place not too long ago.

You didn't react when Varian quietly sat next to you, too absorbed in your own thoughts.

He was the first to break the silence.

"So, uh, it didn't go the way you expected back in Corona."

The corners of your mouth twitched downwards.

"I don't even know what I expected."

"But you must've had a reason to go back. So suddenly too."

The two of you stayed in stillness and Varian was about to drop the subject altogether, when you decided to speak up.

"It's just- I thought they loved me. At least for some time. You know, in hindsight, they never did listen to me. I always listened. I was always the shoulder to cry on. And when they felt okay again, they'd dismiss me until they felt upset again. And not to mention my personal opinions on certain matters - they were not welcome. It just makes me think."

"You're right. They have never listened to you. They don't listen to you. They never listened to anyone, ever. And one thing is for sure, they never, ever truly loved you. You see, that's exactly why we have to stick together, you and I. We care for eachother. We listen to eachother. We're not like them."

You buried your face in your hands and took a deep breath. After a few seconds, you uncovered your face again and folded your hands over your lap.

"Maybe you're right. Sorry, I always tend to get a bit emotional at night."

"After everything you've been through recently, no one could blame you."

You looked up at the moon and Varian couldn't help but admire you.

The moonlight lit up your face gently, highlighting each and every one of your beautiful features.