Chapter 24: Expectations of a King

Start from the beginning

He turned his gaze onto Akeno." Which brings me to his most well known weakness..." she looked him in the eye and could see the expression in them change from teasing confidence to slight empathy.

Her eyes widened as she came to conclude what he meant." No...!" She rejected. Her expression turning to one of rebuke at the mere thought of what Issei intended.

"...holy light. You have it Akeno. And quite frankly, I'm disappointed that I even had to mention it." Issei spoke frankly.

Akeno looked away with disgust still evident in her eyes." I'd rather let Riser have me as a plaything than to use thát power!" She retorted. Her hands wrapped around her waist as she sought comfort in herself.

Rias placed her hand on Issei's arm to focus his attention on her." Issei..." she began with a remorseful tone." Akeno has experienced trauma at the hands of the power you speak of. It still plagues her to this day. Asking her to call upon it now wouldn't be fair from either of us." She tried to reason.

But Issei shook his head." That mentality is precisely why you aren't cut out to be a leader Rias. For the past several years, you have done nothing about their dormant trauma and merely decided to let them deal with it on their own. Now, the consequences of your actions have come back to haunt you.

Akeno's holy light is the only thing that can do permenant damage to Rizer. That...and Koneko's senjutsu." Issei stated and looked to the shocked expression on Koneko's face. She shook her head as the thoughts of using that power caused her to be reminded of what happened the last time someone used it.

Her sister. And she slaughtered the entirety of her peerage members and master.

Issei looked at her expression of horror before turning back to Rias." See what I mean?" He stated with a displeased look. Rias looked away, ashamed.

Issei sighed." Look, there is no need to fret. I have already devised a way for all of you to utilise your powers to the fullest without any negative side effects. So you can relax Koneko. Cause I'll be looking after you." He smiled at the little girl before him.

He decided to let some of his aura lose. The charm ability he has, doing wonders to convince everyone of his sincerity and even calming them to some extent.

Seeing that everyone has calmed down, Issei decided to continue." Now as I stated, I'll be teaching you some new and exotic ways to utilise your powers including your individual piece abilities. So, Rias, would you mind if I aided you and your peerage throughout the next forty days?" Issei inquired.

Rias looked at Issei and saw the resolve in his eyes, yet, she also took note that he placed the decision of putting him in charge in her hands. Like he valued her opinion on the matter. She nodded with a smile." I'll entrust us to you then Issei. But if our training under your care doesn't show results by the second week then I'll have to take over as instructor." She spoke firmly. To which Issei nodded." Agreed."

With that, everyone made their way to their individual training spots. Issei created clones, which fascinated Rias and sent them with each individual peerage member.

Rias took note of the fact that 'Issei' stayed with her to act as her personal instructor. This pleased her somewhat. The thought that the real 'Issei' wanted to teach her personally.

Meanwhile in the mountains~

Issei sat crossed legged in a meditative pose as he sweat profusely. A crimson aura was shrouding his body and scorching the surrounding stones as it was extremely hot.

Issei was immersed in the [Red Dragon Cultivation] technique.

Opening his eyes to reveal a pair of blazing green eyes, Issei couldn't help but smirk.' I have already reached level one and it hasn't even been an hour yet! My [cultuvation] skill is surely boosting the speed of my progress.' He thought amused.

"Hey partner. Mind telling me why you let the red head believe that clone of yours was the real deal?" Ddraig asked. Issei sighed." She likes people giving her attention or valuing her opinion on matters. It makes her feel as though she is appreciated. Which is why I also asked her for her permission to lead them. I let her think the clone was the real thing because I know she'd be pleased if it were. She may not realize it, but she is sucking up to me more and more. It won't be long before she becomes my slave. I think that'll be an appropriate punishment." He stated with a smirk.

Issei could practically feel Ddraig shaking his head inside his mindscape." You and your manipulative crap. You are despicable, you know that?" He responded. It caused Issei to chuckle." Ddraig my friend, do you know the principles behind seduction? They are love and care. Show someone those and they'll happily throw themselves at you. Rias is no different. She is playing into my hand without even being aware of it."

Ddraige shook his head." And that's precisely what's worrying me. You are getting to good to fast." He chuckled afterward. There was no doubt in Ddraig's mind anymore. Issei was going to be the greatest host he's had till date.

~♡~

Meanwhile, in Hell, Grayfia stood before her master. The Devil King Lucifer. Otherwise known as Sirzechs. He sat on his throne with an expression of amusement.

"Is that so? The Cardinal Hero you say? We could use this to our advantage then. Leave his servant with Riser. She should prove to be great insurance in the event that Rias lost the Rating game." He spoke intrigued.

But Grayfia nodded." As you wish my lord." She spoke and dismissed herself. Sirzechs on the other hand turned his gaze to the ceiling. His greenish blue eyes turning crimson." Show me what you are capable of. Shield hero. I expect a great spectacle from your end. Don't disappoint me." He spoke out loud. A smile grazing his lips as he did.

~♡~

Author's note:

Apologies for the late update. Final exams have kept me busy since mid october. Updates will be posted more regularly during the vacation.