Chapter 7: Seize the Initiative

Meanwhile, Riddle, Jade, Otho, and Ruggie soon walk through a door from the mysterious stairway, and end up in the Ghost Ship Cove.

"Where are we? A beach?" Riddle questions.

Ortho and Ruggie shout in excitement, "IT'S A SHIIIP!"

"Why does a shipwreck bring you such joy?" Riddle questions.

"It's just like an adventure!" Ruggie says, excited.

"This again? What could possibly be exciting about a boat that's run aground?" Riddle questions.

"That's all you see?" Riddle asks.

Then says, "Oh, Riddle, You just don't get it. What could be more full of mysteries than a shipwreck?

"There's a ghost ship in volume three of Captain Mustache as well!" Ortho happily says.

Then explains, "Captain Mustache fights the ship's captain and claims both the vessel and ALL the treasure in the cargo hold. It always ranks as one of the readers' favorite arcs! Isn't that right, Ruggie Bucchi!"

"Totally. Every kid out there dreams of scoring a massive treasure," Ruggie says with a grin on his face."

"You know, many shipwrecks are still brimming with treasure. Young merfolk in the Coral Sea love exploring sunken ships as well," Jade says.

"I grew up in the Queendom of Roses, which is landlocked. I'd never seen the ocean until I came to our school. I've looked at pictures of sea creatures in encyclopedias of course, but I've no particular attachment to them. Sorry to be a spoilsport," Riddle says.

"Oh is that so? I was certain you had an avid interest in the ocean, Riddle," Jade replies.

"What? Why would you say..." Riddle asks, feeling offended, but lets out a "Ah!"

Then asks, "Are you really going to bring that up?!"

"Bring what up?" Ortho and Ruggie ask.

Riddle quickly answers, "Nothing! There's no reason to retread old ground."

Suddenly, they hear a voice saying, "Oooh! A mirror fragment!"

The four turn and look to see the ghosts from before.

Riddle notices, "Look, ghosts! And they're carrying a bunch of fragments!" He then calms himself, "Ahem! This conversation is hereby terminated. We'd best go take their mirror fragments.

"All right!" We've got some extra firepower now that Jade's with us. A little magic should do the trick..." Ruggie says.

Before anyone can move forward, Riddle says, "Wait a minute. I have a plan that will allow us to conserve our strength."

"I dunno, man... Last time you said that, we wound up in a fight anyway," Ruggie says, unsure.

"Agreed. It might be more efficient to simply obliterate any ghosts we come across," Ortho says.

"You can be ice cold, you know that, Ortho?" Ruggie replies.

"They're ghosts, right? There's no need to go easy on them! Besides, they possess one of you if we did!" Ortho says.

Then Riddle says, "Worry not! I had a flash of inspiration when we found out the ghosts possess people who are startled. When a person is startled, they are responding to an unexpected action in their immediate vicinity. So what better way to avoid being surprised than by scaring the ghosts first? That way we seize the initiative!"

"Ah, of course! Quite the bold and intriguing gambit. It's very like you Riddle," Jade says.

"Heh. Isn't it though?" Riddle replies.

"You're just agreeing for the laughs and you know it, Jade," Ruggie says.

Then says, "But I guess there's no harm in trying if you're that confident. Worst case we just use our magic anyway."

Ortho happily says, "Giving the ghost a taste of their own medicine sounds like fun. I'm in!"

"All right, then let's get to it," Riddle says.

Then gives the others the orders, "Ruggie, Ortho come with me. Jade, you wait in the rear. Your reserves are the most depleted right now. You can take care of any ghosts that slip by us."

With the plan in mind, Ruggie, Riddle, and Ortho head off in one direction while Jade takes the rear.

Meanwhile, the ghosts are looking at the fragments that they found.

The female ghost says, "Oh hoh hoh! Would you look at all the fragments we've collected!"

The large dressed ghost says, "The mass search effort paid off."

Then the third one says, "This many fragments will surely be enough..."

Suddenly, they hear a strange sound.

The large dressed ghost wonders, "Hm? What's that noise?"

They hear the strange squishing sound again.

"It sounds so slimy and unpleasant... and it's getting closer! The large ghost says, growing worried.

And then, they hear a voice, "Arr, that be me treasure yer holdin'. I'll send any what touches it down to the briny depths!"

Then Ruggie jumps out and lets out a, "YARRR!"

Then Ortho and Riddle join in, "BOO!"

The ghosts scream, "AHHH!"