Chapter Twelve - Rescue Mission

For a group of little kids, the Beavers were surprisingly well disciplined. Perhaps we were too disciplined, the total absence of any bedtime complaints eliciting more than just a raised eyebrow from our dutiful scout master. Taylor asked at least a dozen times if we needed anything before bed, but as we were all tucked up in our bunks that night there were zero complaints. No one had to go potty; no one needed a glass of water; no one wanted a bedtime story; and no one was homesick. We all just tucked ourselves up under the covers, blinking up at the murky black ceiling as we waited for the gruff tenor voices of the cubs chatting outside to fade into murmurs, and then to silence. It was all just to get a silly stuffed animal back, but I couldn't help but fidget in excitement! It reminded me of that old film my dad liked. What was it called? The Great Escape? I wiggled my toes under the covers, hearing the heroic whistled theme tune playing in my head.

"Cooper?" Laurie hissed below me, interrupting my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Are you still 'wake?"

I smiled, peeping my head over the side of the bunk to see the shining emerald green of the little boy's bleary eyes staring expectantly up at me through the darkness. "Course!" I confirmed. "We're going on a secret mission, remember?"

"Yeah..." Laurie agreed, rubbing his eyes. "I'm kinda sleepy though..."

I slid out from under my covers, hopping down from my bunk and, cat-like, landing silently by Laurie's bedside. I reached up towards my bag, rustling around in a loose bag of skittles I had stashed in the side pocket. "Here." I whispered, holding out a cupped hand "Have some candy." I heard Laurie readjust his bedsheets, before my eyes narrowed in confusion as I felt a slight wetness on my palm. I squinted, surprised to see that Laurie was nibbling directly from my hand like a goat at a petting zoo! "Hey!"

I heard the boy snort back a barely contained giggle through the reverent silence, his happy laughter seeming to rouse the Beavers from their hush. Soon the whole cabin was abuzz with happy excited murmuring, someone rushing over to flick on the lights. I gave Laurie an admonishing shake of my head, wincing back the invasive yellow light. "Don't do that." I warned half-seriously, stuffing the remaining skittles into my mouth.

"Sorry!" Laurie sang. "Wolves don't have thumbs!"

"Yeah, right..." I agreed, rolling my eyes.

Meanwhile, Liam was stood at the door to the cabin - still dressed in his beaver uniform - observing the waking beavers with the steely eyed glare of a hardened battle commander. It was his plan, afterall. "Does everyone know what they're doing?" he demanded, cutting through the hubbub.

"I'm homesick, right?" Ari piped from his lower bunk.

"Aiden and I are going to take Ari to the grown-ups." Gabriel added. "Keep them in the kitchen and tell you if they are coming."

Liam nodded, turning next to the Kindies. "We're going to get Fuzzie from Nate's tent." Alex said. She dug around her large backpack and pulled out the yellow and black walkie talkies she'd gotten for her birthday. "Gabriel - you take this and I'll keep the other one." She told him. Her fellow blue tail nodded solemnly, stuffing the device into his pants pocket.

Ari got out from under his covers, revealing a colorful set of onesie pajamas. He started to look nervous, and for a moment I was worried he had cold feet - but it soon became clear it was all part of his routine. He blinked a few times, crocodile tears forming immediately at the corners of his brown eyes like a well practiced actor. He held his breath, making his face flush, and started sniffing pitiably out of his nose. If I hadn't known any better, I would have thought he really was crying! Clearly, this wasn't the first time he'd faked tears.