Chapter 34: The Darkness-less Life!

Start from the beginning

"But... But this isn't right! She just left without telling us anything! Our relationship isn't so shallow that a simple letter would be adequate!"

As Megumin entered the second stage of grief, Aqua said:

"I think it's because Kazuma has been going too far with his sexual harassment. I really don't think you should throw our laundry into the tub and yell, 'Yahoo~ Underwear bath!'."

"I-I didn't! I haven't done that yet!"

"Did you just say 'yet'?"

Ignoring the suspicious gaze I was sending him, Kazuma picked up the letter and scanned it through and through several times over. Every line, every character, every little piece of ink that was on that small piece of paper.

'I'm deeply sorry for telling you this so suddenly, I'm in a complicated situation that I can't tell you about in detail. This is something I have to bear as a noble. I can't meet all of you anymore. It's willful of me, but I hope you can remove me from the party. Please find a replacement vanguard to take over for me. I'm deeply grateful to all of you and don't know how I can repay your kindness... I really enjoyed my time adventuring with everyone. Those were the happiest moments of my life so far. I'll never forget my days adventuring with all of you.'

As he read it again, and again, Kazuma only grew more frustrated.

And so was I, remembering the contexts of that stupid piece of paper.

'Thank you for everything.

Best Regards,

Dustiness ford Lalatina

The deepest gratitude to my beloved comrades–'

Kazuma crumbled the paper into a ball and threw it into the trash bin.

But it missed.

Only for me throw a dagger at it, pinning it to the floor.

"W-What the hell, do you sleep with those things or what?"

"... Doesn't matter."

I wordlessly moved over to the couch and sat with a heavy sigh, while Kazuma got back to his project.

Megumin and Aqua seemed a little intimidated by our change of behavior.

Then, when the pen in Kazuma's hand snapped in two, Megumin started hesitantly:

"Y-You both are actually really concerned too, right? Be more honest with yourselves! Come on, let's make a trip to Darkness' house!" She clenched her tiny fists.

That day after eating our cold dishes without the company of our trusted shield, we rushed to her house early in the morning. However...

"They'll chase us out like the last time. She's not part of some run-of-the-mill noble house; if we try to break in we're gonna end up arrested."

"I bet if not for her and her father, we could probably even get executed." I added.

Megumin dropped her head in defeat. Her breathing quickened as she stared at the floor, racking her brain up, thinking of anything that could bring back our Crusader.

Out of everyone in the party, she was the one who cared the most. Many times she told me she wished for things to stay as they are. For our adventuring to never end.

That's why I hated seeing her like this. But this time there was nothing we could do. Our hands were tied.

"Kazuma, aren't you thinking about doing something for Darkness? Developing new products like this; are you doing this because of that advice the useless devil gave you?"