Chapter 32: The Stubborn Crusader's Hardships!

I woke up from what seemed like the worst nightmare I ever had.

Upon slowly opening my eyes I was met with a familar image. It was the ceiling of my room.

Regaining my senses, I began to scan the room. Judging by how bright it was, it was well past afternoon. I had my usual adventuring outfit on, and was neatly tucked into bed, under the covers.

A specific scent was present in the air. Like freshly brewed, hot tea. And not the kind of tea that Aqua always makes.

Then I suddenly remembered.

"Y/N...?"

It all clicked all of a sudden. This cozy, peaceful feeling was now replaced by anxiety and confusion. Until I looked to my right to see him.

"You called? I got some tea for you. Here." He picked up the cup of tea that was on my drawer, next to the bed, and hovered it close to me so I could grab it. I was in too much shock to do it, however. "Sorry for making you so worried." He said, and welcomed me with a tender smile.

I moved my shaking hands to pick up the offered tea.

"Ah...! Hot."

"Ah, yeah, the cup might be a little hot. Let me cool it down for you a little."

With wide open eyes and my mouth slightly agape, I watched his every move. I watched as he put the tea close to his lips and started blowing so it wasn't that hot. I watched as he was casually sitting in a chair, right next to my bed. I saw that he brought a book with him, that was now resting on his lap. He probably brought it with him and waited all this time for me to wake up. It was the first time I saw this book. It must've been new.

"-Ah, hot, hot! Damn it, not the book! I bought it just a few hours ago!"

It was indeed new. And now it was stained with tea. Just like his pants.

"Is he...?"

A single tear went down my cheek as I observed this pathetic yet familiar scene. It felt like I was home again. I felt at peace, knowing that this was the reality that I was going to live for the rest of my live. I was going to spend the rest of my days with this idiot.

It felt like I'd fallen in love all over again.

"Ugh, now what? It'd be fine if it was just a single drop, but... Megumin?" He grumbled and put the tea away, back on the drawer. Then he turned to me.

I placed my still trembling hand on his. That was the exact opposite of when I touched it, when I thought I lost him forever. It wasn't cold or pale anymore. It felt warm, like lighting a fireplace on a cold winter night. Blood rushed through his veins. It was so full of life.

"Hey, if you want this tea anyways, then- M-Megu...?!"

I pulled him into bed with me. The stained book that was in his lap, landed on the floor with a light thud. Even though his hand and a part of his pants were stained and wet with tea, I didn't care in the slightest.

I clung to his arm the hardest I could. Tears started flowing down my cheeks and onto his arm. It's not like I cared about that. All I wanted now was to be as close to him as possible. Just like his hand, he was so warm. His heart was beating loudly. He was so full of life.

When I pressed his arm close to me, everything fell apart. I couldn't stop myself anymore. My cries echoed around the room and probably around the mansion. These were the cries of pure joy. Pure bliss. The cries of the gleeful realization that it wasn't the end of our journey.