Chapter 34: The Darkness-less Life!

"What's that, Kazuma? What are you making?" As I entered the living room, I saw Kazuma sitting beside the table and a nosy Aqua standing next to him.

"Yaaawn... 'Morning. What's that you're working on first thing in the morning?"

"Don't you morning me. Really, Y/N, I can't believe I'm saying this, but you have to learn from Kazuma. Sleeping for so many hours isn't good for a lazybone like you." Aqua grumbled.

The very same person who scolded me for sleeping until noon was still in pajamas herself.

"Yeah, whatever. Hm? It kinda looks like a stick of dynamite."

Kazuma, noticing my inquisitive gaze over his shoulder, picked up the item he was working on and showed it to Aqua and me.

"So it is a dynamite stick."

"It's far from that. It's barely an imitation of dynamite. I just have a rough idea of the principle and appearence. I can't craft the item because of the lack of materials; but I can still make a rough shape of it." He explained and got back to work on his project.

"As if Megumin's explosion wasn't enough, we now have even more ways to blow stuff up."

"Bringing advanced weapon technology to this world... Kazuma, you're really scary...!"

"Shut it, you two."

"Oh, I know what's going on here. You're doing this so people will buy it, because of that thing Vanir said some time ago, right? That you have to invent more stuff, or something."

"T-That's not it." The tsundere jolted up at my expert deduction skills.

Aqua took one stick of dynamite and sat on the couch next to her precious egg to closely observe the new invention.

Megumin, who all this time was reading Darkness' letter with earnest, lifted her head and spoke up:

"What's that thing Aqua's holding?"

"It's an imitation of a magic item called dynamite. It's used to recreate Explosion magic."

Hearing Kazuma's words, Megumin glared at the 'magic item' in Aqua's hand.

"Of course she only reacted to the word 'Explosion magic'. Seems weird she didn't say anything when I was talking about her explosion earlier."

"The good thing about this is that anyone can use it and doesn't consume mana. However, it can't-" As Kazuma went on, Megumin snatched the dynamite from Aqua's hand.

"Fuaaah!"

And threw it out of the window.

"What are you doing?! I spent hours on this!"

"That's not the reaction I expected."

"That's the only reasonable reaction, Y/N! How can I let something so measly and puny like this recreate the ultimate magic? I won't accept the development of any similar weapons!"

Megumin's hard and agitated breathing quickly softened as she regained her composure and went back to Darkness' letter.

"... Is Darkness really leaving the party?"

The room fell silent at her words.

"Well, she's far above our league. To be honest... it's surprising that it took so long."

"Since it's her family's problems, there's nothing we can do. Like Y/N said... It's weird for a noble girl to play adventuring with a bunch of commoners for so long."