Chapter 33: Megumin the Dragon Slayer!

The next day began as any other – with Darkness wanting to challenge the Hydra as usual. This time, however, she wasn't the first one there. Kazuma and I were already waiting for her early in the morning.

When she arrived later in the afternoon with Aqua and Megumin, she was flabbergasted.

"You sure took your sweet time, Lalatina!"

"We thought you'd never show up, Lalatina!"

Kazuma and I started teasing Darkness.

"Lalatina-chan's here!"

"Lalatina!"

"Lalatina!"

That's when the majority of Axel's adventurers, who were all sitting and waiting behind us, joined in.

"..."

"... Did we overdo it? Agh, wait-! Lalatina, please wait before you strangle us!"

"S-Stop it, Lalatina! Those guys were just calling your name, don't silently start strangling us like that! Stop... Please stop!"

Lalatina grabbed us by our collars with teary eyes; whether from embarrassment or happiness, I couldn't tell. Maybe because my vision slowly began to blur.

"If this is a new way of harassing me, I'll give you a piece of my mind!"

"Harassment? Use this brain of yours for once before- I-I'm sorry, please, let go, I'll die!"

"Why would we gather so many people for something stupid like that? We just told everyone that you're challenging the Hydra every day and asked for their help!"

Hearing Kazuma's choked out words, Darkness released our poor collars and we were finally allowed to breathe again.

She finally connected the dots and frenziedly looked over to the crowd of adventurers standing before her.

"Oh, even Lalatina can get embarrassed."

"Don't say that. Lalatina-chan might look like that, but she's actually very delicate, alright? To defeat the Hydra, Lalatina-chan's strength is needed. What if you make her cry and run back?"

Some adventurers from the crowd spoke out.

"Take a good look, Darkness. We only had to tell them that you were doing something silly every day and so many adventurers came here just to help you. I can't do anything about your muscled-filled brain, but don't make others too worried."

"... T-Thank you..." The flushed Crusader muttered in a soft voice.

"What was that? Sorry, can you repeat that?"

Darkness glared at me like she was gonna murder me on the spot. I promptly looked away.

It just so happened that my eyes met Megumin's. She kept gawking at me, completely ignoring everything around her.

I recognized that look at first glance. This sense of amazement was almost exactly the same as the first time we met. It was almost the same as the first time she laid her eyes on the now famous 'chivalrous thief'.

My secret weapon was working.

"... So cool."

Yesterday when we went to gather all the adventurers with Kazuma, I stopped by some shops on our way back.

My light leather armor I used to wear from the moment I arrived in this world was now completely gone, just like the black hoodie. The last remnant of my old home was from that point onward kept in the closet in my room in our mansion. In replacement, I opted for a black, medieval-style coat, with hints of purple.