The Best Day Ever... Maybe

edited; August 29, 2016                                                                                                                                                       edited; October 8, 2016

At that moment, life was good. In fact, it was great. 

The war was over, Leo was back, and he even brought Calypso. Best of all, Annabeth and Calypso don't hate one another. I guess it was kind of rude and stereotypical of me to assume they would, but hey, Calypso freaking cursed her.

But moments don't last forever. Just as I was about to leave my cabin, everything went wrong. A terrible feeling washed over me. I suddenly became nauseous and collapsed on the floor, spewing out my guts. It wasn't a beautiful scene. 

"Percy?" I heard someone call, then immediately blacked out.

---

When I woke up, after blinking a few times, I realized I was in an uncomfortable hospital chair. A mortal hospital. Jason, Leo, and Nico were right beside me, giving me a sense of comfort.

"What happened to the infirmary?" I asked, shaking my head unsure whether it was a dream or not. 

"We did take you the infirmary at first," Nico explained, "But Chiron insisted we take you here."

"That's stupid." I grumbled, "Here they have shots, not ambrosia."

Leo rolled his eyes, "Guess what Barnacle Brain? Ambrosia heals paper cuts not a bad stomach!"

"Shut up Leo" I hissed.

"Percy Jackson?" a nurse called. 

I raised my hand and she gestured for me to follow. Jason came with me and grinned,

"I carried you here" he said smugly.

"And dropped me" I guessed. 

"Only twice!" he protested. 

I cracked a grin, and playfully smacked his shoulder. Jason and I have gotten closer since the first time we met. Before we just silently argued and tried to beat one another at each others game. Now he was basically my brother.

When we got in the room, the nurse said 

"Alright, we're going to take some blood tests, so we can see what's going on."

Next, another woman walked in, and conversed with the nurse.

She looked about thirty, and looked exactly like Hazel, but much older with straighter hair and darker eyes. I missed Hazel and Frank, my two Roman friends and a part of the seven. They stayed back at Camp Jupiter with Reyna, but I supported the decision. Frank was preator and Hazel should be with him.

The nurse again led us to another room with a leather chair and a crap ton of needles, but then left, leaving us with the other woman. 

"Okay Percy, sit right here and let's get started. By the way, I'm Dr. Sarah".

I smiled, "Hey."

"It's nice to meet the both of you" she said, nodding at Jason.

"Manners dude," I whispered. 

"Oh, uh sorry, um, nice to meet you too?" he stammered. 

She chuckled, then wiped my arm and stuck in the needle in. I watched intently as the blood flowed through the tubes.

It was really weird.

When it was done, she grinned sweetly and said,

 "I'll go check this, and be right with you." 

We walked over to the old room and just sat there really. Jason and I talked about stuff like cars, girlfriends, gods, things demigod guys usually talk about. Eventually we found out Leo and Nico headed back to camp because they got bored. 

When Dr. Sarah came back, her expression was grim. Wonderful.

"Jason, that's your name, correct?" 

"Yes.. ma'am?" he replied questioningly. 

"May I speak with you a moment?"

He nodded and walked out. The suspense was slowly killing me, and my ADHD didn't help. It seemed as though hours passed until Jason came back in. The son of Jupiter glanced at me sympathetically and I feared the worst.

"So?" I asked.

"Ah um so.." He started, looking back at the Dr. Sarah at the door.

"Percy dear, I'm going to be straightforward with you okay?"

I nodded

"After analyzing the blood samples, we're sure that you have cancer. The overload of white blood cells was enough to know," she told me. 

"Cancer" I said, almost to myself.

"I'm so sorry man" Jason said, clapping him gently on the back. 

"But Percy, don't think that this is it. If you would like, we can call your mother and begin the chemotherapy treatment."

I didn't think that was it until she mentioned it. All I could think of was the fact treatments didn't usually work. But it didn't matter because I had to try it anyway. 

"Okay," I said slowly, telling her my mom's number.

"It'll be alright fam," Jason joked, causing me to smile a bit.

Inside joke. 

"What day should I come for whatever its called?" I asked Dr. Sarah. 

"It's called Chemo, and next Monday," she said, "Oh, and Percy?"

"Yeah?"

"Nothing will change. It'll all be alright. The hardest part is the memories, the easiest will be getting through it" then she winked. 

Then I remembered. The last day I volunteered with my mom at the hospital before the battle of Manhattan, I met a girl named Allison.

She was 11 and she was depressed about her situation. I told Allison exactly that, and her mother was right there in the room beside me. That mother was Dr. Sarah.